-four-

*Pic above- Kale*

I listened to Kaitlyn's reasoning as to why our Homecoming dance in a month and a half should be under the sea theme for the fifth time this meeting. I didn't know how to tell her nicely that her idea was terrible and if we did an under the sea theme no one would even buy tickets. 

"We could even save a ton of money by making some decorations ourselves," As Kaitlyn wrapped up her speech the remaining six people in the Homecoming committee turned to look at me for a decision. 

There was really only one way to handle this situation. 

"I guess we'll have to take a vote then," I began, standing up from my seat. "All in favor of Homecoming being under the sea themed?"

I watched as Kaitlyn's hand eagerly shot up and Luke's hand as well, everyone else kept their hands down. 

"And everyone in favor of Homecoming being the roaring 20's themed?" Everyone else's hands shot up and I sat back down, pleased. "I think that settles it then,"

Kaitlyn looked extremely annoyed and sat with her arms crossed for the remainder of the meeting. As soon as we discussed the budget and decoration ideas for the roaring 20's theme I quickly dismissed everyone. I couldn't skip out on practice much longer.

"Hey, good luck at the game tomorrow," Danny called out to me, waving before he left the room. My cheeks immediately heated up and I instinctively reached up and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. I didn't have time to thank him so all I could do was hope he'd be able to watch some of the half-time show at the game. Speaking of, I needed to get to practice. 

I hurried and changed and quickly joined my team in practice drills. Tomorrow was our first show of the season and I didn't want any freshmen to make a fool out of the squad my senior year. During practice our coach didn't push the team nearly as much as normal, she wanted us to be well rested and ready to perform our best. 

"Don't forget homework from econ," Pepper reminded me, slinging her bag over her shoulder. "Did you get homecoming figured out?" 

"Yeah we did," I replied then quickly added, "and no, I'm not telling you," 

Pepper shot me a playful glare then rolled her eyes, beginning to walk out the door. "See you tomorrow Mace,"

"See ya," I finished zipping my jacket and headed out to my car, I couldn't wait to go home and shower. 

It was only 6 pm but with fall approaching already, the sun was setting sooner every day. The only lights on were in the kitchen which meant dad had probably already gone to bed. I opened the door as quietly as possible, trying to slip up the stairs undetected but I was interrupted by my mom's wailing out of nowhere. I stood as still as possible, not even daring to breathe. 

"You're the one who did this to the family," My dad's voice was mean, even more mean than when I wouldn't listen as a child and he almost had to threaten me with a spanking. "this is not on me and it sure as hell is not our daughter's fault either,"

"Please, keep your voice down," My mom's whisper was stressed, obviously scared someone was going to hear. Although no one was home and I doubt they heard me come in. 

"I can't stand to look at you," With no more words from my mom the only sound was my dad's shoes retreating to the back door followed by the slamming of the door. My mom burst into sobs as soon as the door slammed and I still stood where I was, feet anchored to the ground. 

What had just happened? The last thing I'd ever expect from my mom was for her to cheat on my dad. Sure they'd had their fights here and there but they were always happy, always my amazing parents. 

Before my mom had the chance to come out of the kitchen and see me, figuring out I just heard everything, I hurried back out the front door and back to my car. The only reason I didn't cry was because my brain was still processing what I had just witnessed. Pepper would know what do to. 

Pepper handed me another tissue while I cuddled with her fuzzy purple pillow and cried about the possibility of my parents splitting. 

"Maybe they were fighting about something else, we shouldn't jump to conclusions yet," Pepper reassured me, scooting closer so she could wrap her arms around me. "I'm sure this is just a fight and it's all going to blow over,"

"I've never heard my dad so angry before Pep," I could hear my dads words still ringing through my head clearly. "It doesn't seem like a minor thing,"

"The best thing you can do is get some rest so you're not dead tired for classes tomorrow," Pepper got up to shut off her lights, not before switching on a small tulip shaped nightlight she had had since she was three. "Everything's going to be fine," 

Pepper always knew when she needed to be serious and when she needed to make me laugh, it was one of the things I loved the most about her. She could keep a level head when need be but she can also pump you up for a stupid idea. Before trying to get some sleep I checked my phone and saw a text from my dad. 

'Assuming you're at Peppers. Don't stay up to late, love you bug'

I quickly texted him back letting him know he assumed correctly and that I was heading to bed. If my parents end up getting a divorce I don't know what would change first. The dark thought crowded my mind until I finally drifted to sleep for a few short hours.