-six-

*Pic above- Jasmine*

Since I had caught Gabe outside smoking and skipping class he hadn't missed English once. Although it's only been a week, so my hopes aren't up too high for this coming week to be as good. 

"Stop worrying about Gabe showing up and remember we have a game tonight," Pepper snapped at me from where she was sitting next to Kale. Jasmine snickered at Pepper lecturing me but I couldn't care any less. The clock was just about to turn to 7:30 and Mrs. Walker claimed anyone walking through the door after 7:30 was late. 

If Gabe wanted to skip his other classes then so be it, but he could at least just show up for this one class so I don't fail too. 

Just as the bell rang for school to officially start and Mrs. Walker was walking to close the room dorm, Gabe came rushing through just in time and plopped down next to me. His signature scent of cigarettes filling my nose. 

"Morning gorgeous," Gabe flashed me a white grin. At least he took care of his teeth.

"Smoking is bad for you," I muttered, ignoring his smile and flipping open my notebook at Mrs. Walker's command. 

"You sound like my mother," Gabe grumbled, pulling out his notebook that looked like it had been through world war II even though it's only the second week of school. 

I ignored Gabe's comment, usually I just tuned him out completely. All I had to do was make it through this period without strangling him and I wouldn't have to see him again for the rest of the day. 

"So you and your partner will need to plan when you can meet up outside of school. You won't have time to work on this in class so this project will be strictly worked on and finished outside of school," Mrs. Walker continued rambling and writing on the white board but I could already feel my stomach becoming heavy. 

We have to meet up outside of class now too?

"Work together with each other's schedules, I would suggest meeting up at least twice a week," Mrs. Walker turned to look at the class now and I know she saw my disapproving stare. "This project will make up 40% of your total grade, so I wouldn't put this off too long if I were you,"

I felt Gabe's smirk without having to even look at him. Mrs. Walker passed out the huge packet to all of us students, detailing this gruesome assignment. As soon as the bell rang I already had my things packed and hurried out of the classroom. Mrs. Walker had officially lost it and now I needed to go get on my knees and beg the principal to let me switch into an English class. 

Suddenly from behind someone grabbed my arm and pulled me to the side of the hallway, out of the way of the other students hurrying by. It was Gabe, to my dismay. 

"Slow down a bit, yeah?" Gabe tried to smile down at me but I only stared back up at him, waiting for whatever he was going to say next. "I was gonna see when you wanted to start this project,"

"I'm pretty busy," I replied shortly, glancing around at the students passing by. A few glanced out way but most weren't even paying attention to us. Gabe looked down and me and narrowed his eyes slightly. 

"Alright, look here," Gabe wasn't smiling or even smirking anymore, any kindness seemed to drain from his face within a split second. "I get it, I'm not the partner you wanted. You've made that pretty damn obvious,"

A stab of guilt made my chest tighten.

"But I'm trying to work with you as best as possible. You don't want to be friends? Fine, have it your way. I'm not going to fail this class because some snotty cheerleader can't get over middle school rumors and grow the hell up," 

Gabe stormed away from me, shaking his head and cussing under his breath, disappearing into the sea of students. I couldn't seem to move my feet after he left. His words hurt, a lot more than they should. I tightened my grip on my backpack straps and headed for second period, hoping to find Pepper before class started so I could tell her all about this. 

Why would anyone want a degenerate to be their AP English partner? And for the whole year? 

"What's up, you're so pale," Pepper asked after I had found her in the hallway. 

"Gabe just freaked out on me, I guess I'm a terrible partner," I mumbled, rolling my eyes. "He told me to grow up, as if I'm the one who needs to," 

I looked at Pepper but she just stared at me with a blank expression. 

"What are you trying to say?" I asked, starting to feel like Pepper wasn't on my side. 

"You have kind of been a bitch to him since school started Mace," Pepper said honestly, shrugging her shoulders. 

"You're saying you'd act differently if he was your partner?" I couldn't believe Pepper was taking Gabe's side on this! 

"Macy, he's never even done anything to you. Why not give the dude a chance instead of believing all the rumors you hear?" Pepper suggested, handing me a mini muffin she had pulled from her backpack. 

"Already eating so early, girls?" Jasmine asked, walking up to the two of us and scoffing. 

"Some of us don't like to starve ourselves to fit into a size 2," Pepper fired at Jasmine who only snickered, taking that as a compliment. 

"I'm almost to a size 1," Jasmine sauntered away but not before turning back and asking "How's that size 5 treating you? Or is it size 6 now?"

"Pepp, she's not worth it," I stepped in front of Pepper before she could lunge towards Jasmine and take her out. "You wouldn't be able to cheer in the game tonight if you kicked her ass, save it for after the season," 

Pepper clenched her jaw. Jasmine was a bitch, always had been. When she had found out about Pepper's anorexia problem when we were in 6th grade she took every chance she could to make a stab at Pepper. It was pure jealousy on Jasmine's part, everyone loved Pepper and not many liked Jasmine at all. 

Although when the day comes that Pepper beats the crap out of Jasmine, I'll be videotaping the whole thing. 

"If I can't kick her ass right now, then you need to give Gabe a chance," Pepper turned to head into our classroom. "I mean it, Macy. Or I'll kick your ass after I'm done with Jaz,"