1 - The First Step of Your Journey

———

-Your POV-

     Breathing in the sweet scent of a new region, I take my very first steps into the balmy, tropical islands of Alola.

I expected as much for there to be lush palm trees lining the beach, and a great many tourists frolicking at attractions. I hadn't moved here for the sights though. I was a champion of multiple regions, so you probably get the picture. Traveling was more than a simple hobby, though, like many trainers, I enjoyed it greatly.

Unfortunately, I was only allowed to bring one of my Pokémon. I easily chose my Leafeon, whose bond with me was the likely strongest. She was pretty strong too, to an extent. If I was ganged up on in a battle, I don't think a simple Leaf Blade would make it. Nevertheless, I wasn't planning on having any Pokémon battles until I received my first Alolan starter Pokémon.

     So, I started off on my stroll to the region's Professor's lab — which is supposedly nearby.

I was told by a nice local named Hau with fluffy green hair and a wide, cheerful smile that it was only a few minutes away. While I hadn't met Hau before this, his happy-go-lucky attitude made it seem he could talk pleasantly to anyone without needing to know their name.

     I was about to walk away but instead, I bowed low and said, "My name is (Y/N). Thank you so much for your help."

     When I looked up, however, he was already dashing to a nearby shop selling what I'd read was a popular treat in Alola, called Malasadas. "See you later, (Y/N)!" That was all he said in response. It was no surprise that one would love the doughnut-like pastry, but Hau's lack of formality was a slight shock.

Maybe Alola was less formal than the regions I've been to previously...

     But that was not as much of a shock as the heavy heat that seemed to hang over Alola. I had bought new summer clothes for this journey, but coming originally from Galar, I immediately regretted bringing the (f/c) sweatshirt I am currently wearing.

     I began to quickly walk down the road to the lab before realizing that I wasn't the only one with a sweatshirt. A thin, edgy male with piercing emerald eyes and a peculiar blond hairstyle seemed to be pulling off his all-black attire even in the warmth of the Alolan sun. He didn't seem to be new here, but he wore long sleeves anyway.

     When he noticed me accidentally slowing my pace and boldly staring his way, the male merely crossed his arms, scoffing, "Tch." And walked away, disgust was written clearly all over his expression.

     I shrugged off the odd comment and continued walking to the Professor's lab. I encountered a few cute low-level Pokémon but didn't catch any of them. Instead, I befriended them, hoping that it would help me get to know the new region better.

     I was gently petting a (any favorite starter Pokémon) when it suddenly dashed away into the tall grass with a startled and frightened cry.

     A shadow of a person looms over me, and I hastily stand up from when I was crouching down to meet little Pokémon. I faced a trio of gangsters, two male and one female, all with skull adornments and masks covering their features.

     "Yo," The lazy-looking blue-headed male spoke up, "You seem to have a thing with Pokémon, and we want 'em, yo."

     "You want my Pokémon? No way!" I huff, and start to walk away, thinking they were merely common thieves, but the three call out their partner Pokémon.

     A Garbodor, a Zubat, and a mean-looking Salandit blocked the path ahead. The road had turned into the dirt now, and I was too far from the small city I was in earlier to shout for help.

     I had no choice but to fight the three with my one Leafeon.

———