9 - Quitting Team Skull

———

-Your POV-

Why did I tell Gladion all of that just now? He hasn't been the nicest person up until today, it seems. But he listened either way.

That makes me feel happy inside. I find myself really glad that he cared enough to bear with me.

Soon after I woke up again, Sun escorted me to the apartment. He looks worried since it's clear I've been crying, but Sun doesn't mention anything.

I noticed Gladion closed the door as I walked into mine. With a disappointed sigh, I flopped onto the bed, ignoring my headache. Maybe tomorrow I'll feel better.

*Time Skip*

"You did what?" I exclaim.

"I . . . quit my job in Team Skull. I just thought you'd like to know," Gladion looks away, purposely avoiding my concerned and astonished gaze.

That explains things, like why the grunts all listened to Gladion when he told them to let me on the school bus. He was a part of their ranks.

But let me back up the story a bit. It was the weekend, and I was finally feeling good enough to go to school. I wasn't doing anything in particular at the time, just playing a game on my DS, when I heard a sharp knock on my door. Of course, I headed over there, worried.

Gladion stood there, with an expression I'd never seen on his face. It appeared to be something along the lines of dread.

"Gladion, is everything all right?"

"Um," He said nervously, "Can I come in?"

"Sure!" I smile, although admittedly more than just a little perplexed.

Once we're both on the opposite sides of the couch since I can tell Gladion isn't a touchy person, I cut to the chase and ask, "What's wrong?"

"I quit Team Skull," His voice was almost a whisper, but I picked up his words either way.

"You did what?" I exclaim.

"I . . . Quit my job in Team Skull. I just thought you'd like to know," Gladion looks away.

"Oh," What am I supposed to say? I'm sorry? Or, "But wait, didn't you get paid for that?"

He nods.

"So then, how will you get money from now on?" I ask, now genuinely anxious for him too. When other people around me are stressed, so am I.

"That's the problem," Gladion grumbles reluctantly, "But I don't even know why I'm telling you this. I'll leave now, bye."

"Wait!" I say as Gladion starts to stand up.

"What?" He turns to face me with a blank, expectant expression.

"Won't you need a place to stay?"

That seems to hit him hard with the truth. It's true, how was he planning on living in his apartment next door without having any way to earn money? I notice Gladion sigh in defeat.

"I don't know," He sits back down on the sofa and frowns as if arguing with himself inside his head.

-Gladion's POV-

I look up at (Y/N)'s smiling face. She seems to be amiable and caring to anyone, but I doubt she'd let me stay with her. We've just barely met, and this is too much of a dating simulation situation for my liking.

But even with all of that, I cannot go back to Aether Paradise — no matter what. Mother is extremely unstable at the moment, and after I stole Type: Null, it's too dangerous to return.

I suddenly got a wave of nervous chills. Would (Y/N) take it the wrong way if I asked if I could move in?

As if (Y/N) read what I was thinking, she said, "If you don't mind, you could move in here, Gladion. It's okay with me." She gave me a smile with her eyes closed, her cheeks dusted with pink.

"W-well . . . If you're so sure. That'd be fine," I wish I'd keep a calm face, but how could I? The position I'm in without a steady income from Team Skull leaves me in a really bad situation.

"Hey, it's going to be okay." (Y/N) says. "So are you gonna do it?"

"Yeah," I blush, suddenly embarrassed.

(Y/N) sent me off to pack my things with a peace sign and a wink. I can't believe she didn't mind at all, she's so carefree. Maybe this would work out fine, in the end.

———

Word count: 722 words