17 - Going to Galar?

———

-Gladion's POV-

The walk to school was made up of Lillie grinning at (Y/N) and me. My sister's green eyes gazed over me as she laughed to herself, almost like she discovered a secret that no one else knew.

Soon the Pokémon school came into sight, and Lillie and (Y/N)'s conversation about their favorite cute Pokémon continued as they made their way to their lockers. My locker, being farther down the hall, caused me to have to leave them, which made me uneasy. People always tell me I'm too overprotective of my sister, but now I worry for both of them, without much reason.

'No way this is a crush, right? We're too young anyway... wait, no. I'm fifteen now. I'm not a silly little lovestruck guy that Lillie giggles about.' I think to myself as I unlock my locker and walk into the classroom.

Just as I turned the corner and through the door, something, or shall I say someone, ran right into me.

"(Y/N)?" I ask as I steady her before she topples backward in shock.

Her face is unusually red, and I almost missed the small tears at the edges of her eyes as she murmurs, "Thanks," And then veers away from me and out the door, where I just came from.

What could have gone wrong in a mere five minutes I was at my locker?

I study each guilty face in the room with a piercing glare that causes many of the students to take a timid step back. Lillie turns to whisper something to a classmate next to her but stops when she notices me stomp up to her and slam the palms of my hands onto her desk.

"What in the world happened?" I growl, but she doesn't blink.

Lillie shrugs with a cheeky smile, "I was only talking."

"And?" I grit my teeth, unable to hold back my anger very well.

"I'm sure she'll tell you." Lillie bats her long eyelashes, "You live with her, after all. We all know. You're in love~!"

That was the last straw. I'd never dreamt of slapping my sister, so I never would. Fortunately, at that moment, Professor Kukui strode into the classroom and started roll call, so I reluctantly walked back to my desk and looked at (Y/N)'s empty seat.

She didn't come back to school for the rest of the day. So, I walked back to her apartment myself at the end of the school day, panicked thoughts clouding my brain. Was she kidnapped again? Had Lillie told her something that horrible? What did I miss?

I stand now at the door of the apartment and hesitantly unlock the door to see the main room, with no sign of (Y/N). But I open the door of (Y/N)'s bedroom and see her sitting on her bed with tear-stained cheeks.

Her eyes widened when she noticed I entered the room. She quickly stands up and hastily wipes her tears, saying, "I'm sorry."

"For... What exactly? I don't remember you doing something worth apologizing for." I ask. Was I missing something?

"That's just it," She sniffs, "I didn't tell you."

"Tell me what?" I frown. If I wasn't concerned before, I was now.

"My dad wants me back in Galar in three days." (Y/N) falls into despair once again, and begins to sob harder.

I frantically try to come up with a comforting reply, but no words leave my mouth.

"Gladion?" (Y/N) whimpers, "I'm going to hug you, but stop me if you don't like it."

She stands and walks up to me, then wraps her arms around me, and buries her head, large tears falling down her face.

-Your POV-

Gladion's face reddens at the sudden contact when I hug him. I realize I didn't really ask if he was okay with me hugging him. I suppose I was just desperate for the comfort, especially since I haven't had a mother to depend on for so long.

I open my mouth to apologize once again, but Gladion cuts me off, "I don't mind this," Gladion mumbles, his face still emotionless as he returns the embrace.

Leaning my head on his shoulder, I whisper, "I don't want to leave Alola. I don't want to leave you."

I know this shocks him, but he doesn't show it. I just wanted to make him smile, as Lillie told me. But if I leave before that...

Lifting my chin, I softly smile up at Gladion with no particular intention as a last resort. To my surprise, he was only slightly confused but he smiled back. A tragic smile.

"Thanks," I quietly said.

"For what?" Gladion asks.

"I wanted to see that smile before I left," I step away from Gladion and sit back down on my bed, looking around at my apartment, and how I have to leave it. Where would Gladion go?

"Can't you just...?" I can see Gladion try and fail to come up with an excuse for me to stay.

"Tell him no?" I finished for him. "Unfortunately, I cannot. My father doesn't like Alola, and didn't want me to leave on a journey in the first place, even though Alola is where my mom grew up, where she became a Trial Captain." I fidget with my half of the pale, ice-colored charm.

Gladion looks down at his wrist, where his fragment of the Trial Captain charm was tied.

"Why did your father call you back now?" Gladion desperately asked.

My eyes downcast, I mutter, "I'm sure it was Sun who told him."

Gladion's eyes widened, then he sat down next to me and asked, "What do you mean?"

I sigh, "Sun most likely told Father that I should leave Alola since I know he hates you so much. I see how my brother glares at you and then smiles at me as if he thinks I'm oblivious to his hatred. Sun doesn't like the idea of his little sister growing up and away from him."

Gladion stays silent. I glance over at him and see his clenched fists. Gladion deeply frowns and grumbles, "That's so unfair."

"Tell me about it. I've always had Sun and Father controlling my life ever since Mom died." I whisper.

"You have to tell them no."

Gladion's words make me blink then turn to look over at him, stunned speechless.

He continues, "I have a controlling parent as well. My mother is really evil, and that's why I ran away. You don't have to leave, (Y/N)."

"I... I don't know what to tell my father." I exhale, "He won't continue to pay rent for this apartment if I stay."

"Oh,"

"I know, right?" I sigh again, "And Lillie was teasing me about living here with you... I didn't know she could be both a crybaby and a jerk."

"My sister was the one who made you run from school today?!" He exclaims.

I simply nod, and silence settles down in the small room.

Gladion frowns, deep in thought. Then, he speaks, "Let's think about this later. I'll make some dinner, alright? Would you like an Alolan Plate?" (Refer to photo up top)

"Um... sure. Thanks," I say, and follow Gladion out of my bedroom and into the main room of my apartment, where he immediately begins to cook the famous Alolan dish.

We eat in silence, thinking about nothing but two things: 1) What am I going to do with these last few days, and 2) Is there any chance I can find a way to stay here?

Speaking up, Gladion says, "I told you I'd find another job since I quit Team Skull. Maybe I could earn enough money to stay here."

"I really hope so," I say, the prospect of staying here brightening my expression. But doubts weigh me down as I groan, "What am I going to do...?" Sighing, I pick up my now empty plate and place it by the sink. By tomorrow, I'll only have two more days in Alola if nothing changes.

Well... they say you only live once, so I'll live to my very fullest tomorrow!

———

Word count: 1370 words