30 - The Last Battle Determines the Winner!

———

-Your POV-

Sighing, I attempted to relax my shoulders, but my thoughts were still racing. I was far too nervous. Was it because the Pokemon battle was against Gladion? I don't see a reason why it should... but it doesn't explain why I'm biting my lip and frantically searching for a tactic to beat him, then throwing it out of my mind. It's not like if I win it would hurt him or offend him.

'Get a grip, (Y/N)!' I tell myself.

I quickly shake my head to clear unnecessary thoughts, then push the curtain to the side and step out of the tent.

The sun burns into my eyes as I walk up into my designated place to stand when batting. Across from me, I see Gladion, who turns his head to look right at me, and my cheeks redden, though I blame the tropical Alolan temperature.

Our eye contact is broken when Hala starts to explain the rules once again, and I look away, still a bit apprehensive about the upcoming battle. I could tell that Gladion was too, he was looking a bit more edgy and unapproachable today than usual. Right, now we're going to have to battle each other.

"Second round, last battle – Gladion against (Y/N)! The battle may begin!" Hala declares, and the crowd goes wild.

Oh, I suppose it's because this is the deciding battle for who will win the Full Power Tournament. I better stop over thinking first, if I want to win.

"(Y/N)!" Gladion shouts across the stage to me, and my head snaps up to look at him, "I hate weak people, so show me a battle that proves you're not going to go easy on me. Let's give it our all! I'm not taking no for an answer."

"Alright!" I suddenly grin, an urge of confidence sweeping over me. I can do this. I fling my first Pokemon out onto the platform, and Gladion does the same.

My heart is thudding in my chest, but I manage to happily exclaim, "You first, Popplio!"

"Now. Crobat." Gladion says firmly, without hesitation in his voice.

I tuck a strand of stray (h/c) hair behind my ear, and raise my hand to the air, "Popplio, start by using Baby Doll Eyes!"

The announcer says, "That attack harshly lowered Crobat's defense! It'll be much easier to deal more damage on Crobat, which I'm sure will come in handy for (Y/N)'s Popplio!"

"Crobat, use Toxic!"

"Shoot," I mutter, knowing fully well that the move Toxic poisons the opponents and it will harm them significantly more each turn.

I still could find a way out of this, I really wouldn't get down with depressing thoughts. A carefree and toothy smile spread across my face, much to my astonishment. I could do this.

-Gladion's POV-

So annoying.

As much as I want to win, I can't help but cringe at the thought of battling her. (Y/N). No reward would be worth beating her, which is a thought I'd never think in my life. Ah well, I'm still not going to go easier on her.

And (Y/N) won't stop smiling at me like that, she is such a cheerful person compared to me. She'd never like me back the way I like her.

I blink, refocusing on the battle currently happening, and (Y/N) grinned widely across at me, in a somewhat comforting way.

She commands her Popplio, "Use Bubble Beam!"

I tune out the announcer's obnoxious comments and see as a blast of bubbles crashes into my Crobat, mercilessly bringing it's health down to a zero, causing it to faint and return to its Pokeball. I bite my lip and silently bring out Lycanroc, much to (Y/N)'s surprise.