Chapter 7

August 2017

It wasn't too long before Devin had texted Spencer that he was there, and she was ready to drop everything, say goodbye and meet him outside. But he was already walking in, scanning the crowd for his girlfriend before she had the chance.

"Devin's here, Spence." Natalia nudged her, pointing at the tall brunette walking over with a small smile on his face. She gave him a look none of the others seemed to see before bringing her drink to her lips and finishing it right then.

The girl's boyfriend chuckled, smiling at her before looking back at Natalia. "Being a bad influence tonight, Nat?" He was quick to slip his arm around Spencer's waste, kissing her head after a moment. "Care to introduce me to your friends, love?

"Oh, sorry." Spencer laughed nervously, looking at him then to the boys. "This is Luke, Michael, Ashton, and Calum. We went to school together." She pointed to each of the guys then to Devin. "And this is Devin, my boyfriend."

"Luke?" He furrowed his brows, staring at him for a few moments before meeting his girlfriend's eyes. "The ex-boyfriend?"

"Nice to meet you, Devin." Calum held his hand out to the boy, but he ignored him, staring at Spencer and waiting for her answer. Natalia bit at her lip, thinking silently until she stepped forward and placed a hand on the brunette's arm.

Smiling softly up at him when he turned his head to her, she spoke up quietly. "Devin,, why don't we just have a drink before you guys know. I'm sure you and the guys would like to get to know each other a little."

The blonde's boyfriend hesitated, staring at her best friend before he sighed and stood up a little straighter. "One drink, then we're leaving."

"C'mon, let's go get you one and Spencer can say bye to the guys." Nodding towards the bar, the two walked in that direction and disappeared behind the sea of people. The blonde knew that once her boyfriend was back, she wasn't going to get much of a chance to say goodbye like she'd like to, so she took her opportunity.

Hugging Luke first, not to risk Devin seeing, she squeezed him tight and closed her eyes. "I'm sorry I have to go, but-" She paused, moving to hug Michael next, who happily wrapped his arms around the girl that was always like a little sister to him. "It was so so so nice to see you guys again." Moving down the line once again, Ashton pulled her close before she even went to move closer to him.

"We'll plan to hang out again, Spence. Don't worry." The oldest chuckled against her head. "You're not getting rid of us that easily."

"C'mere, short stack." Calum beamed, holding his arms open before the girl pushed herself into his chest, squeezing her eyes shut. "I'll get your number from Nat to make sure you know when she gets home."

"Thank you." She whispered, staying there for a moment longer before pulling away. "Seeing you guys again was like a dream come true, please take care of Nat tonight."

The four of them nodded, giving small smiles just as Devin and Natalia made their way back over. "Ready to go, babe?"

"Oh, uh-" Spencer glanced at the five of them. "Yeah." Nodding as she moved to hug Natalia, Devin looked over the girl's old friends once more, stopping on Ashton for a moment as he slowly came to the realization that they had gone to the same school. "I'll see you later, Nat."

Almost instantly slipping his arm around the blonde when she pulled away from her friend, he gave her a little pull towards him. "Nice meeting you guys, maybe we'll see you around." Devin nodded before turning the two of them around and heading for the exit. As soon as the two were outside, he moved away from her. "You're hanging out with your ex-boyfriend behind my back now?"