Chapter 34

November 2014 -past-

Dressed in white, Natalia by her side, Spencer couldn't quite believe she was getting married at eighteen years old. Even though her parents were both beyond happy and encouraging them to do this, not many other people were as supportive. Not even Sebastian's parents had it in them to pretend to be thrilled about the marriage taking place.

She didn't think there would be a ton of people, she knew it was going to be a small wedding. But walking down the aisle of the small church and only having about fifteen people there was more than discouraging. It was heartbreaking.

She had her first thoughts of regret as she walked. Feeling as if the aisle continued to get longer and longer, like she'd never reach the end and get to have the comfort of Sebastian by her side. It should have been a sign for the short blonde. But she was never good at recognizing those signs, not then, and not years later.

"Welcome family and friends. We're gathered here today in the sight of God and these witnesses to join Sebastian and Spencer in holy matrimony." The couple's officiant started, smiling brightly at the two of them, before looking to the small group now seated. "This is not the beginning of a new relationship but an acknowledgment of the next chapter in their lives together. Sebastian and Spencer have spent time getting to know each other, and we now bear witness to what their relationship has become. Today, they will affirm this bond formally and publicly." With a small pause, Spencer felt her breath catch in her throat, knowing what was next to be said. "Therefore, if anyone can show just cause why they may not be lawfully joined together, let them speak now or forever hold their peace."

The blonde had fleeting hopes that a boy from her past was somehow there, ready to stand and speak up. But she hadn't heard from him in so long, she knew it wasn't possible. She hadn't spoken to any of the boys she would always care so deeply for. Completely oblivious to the change in her best friend's face behind her, she'd never know the true feelings Natalia had about the situation.

The couple looked at the other, each of their best friends behind them and ready to support them, even if it was thought to be a bad idea by at least one of them. The officiant continued, still smiling brightly at every smiling face in front of him.

"These two will mark their transition as a couple not only by celebrating the love between themselves, but by also celebrating the love between all of us—including the love of their parents, extended family, and best friends, let us not forget God is here with us too, looking upon us all. Without that love, today would be far less joyous."

Both Spencer and Sebastian looked from each other out to their friends and family, smiling when all they saw was smiling faces back. It was a relief in a way. Spencer would never tell a soul, but the way her Aunt had pulled her to the side just hours earlier, asking if she truly wanted to get married, instilled a little bit of fear into the girl. Did she want it? She knew she loved Sebastian, but getting married at eighteen... was she rushing it? Was it just what her parents wanted? Was she just trying to win their love once and for all?

The officiant took a small breath before continuing. "Do you, Sebastian Xavier Greenwood, take Spencer Sage Casey to be your lawfully wedded wife? To have and to hold, in sickness and in health, in good times and not so good times, for richer or poorer, keeping yourself unto her for as long as you both shall live?"

"I do." The brunette boy smiled, letting out the breath he was holding. Even if things felt a little pressured, he did love Spencer, and he didn't think they'd regret it.

"Do you, Spencer Sage Casey, take Sebastian Xavier Greenwood to be your lawfully wedded husband? To have and to hold, in sickness and in health, in good times and not so good times, for richer or poorer, keeping yourself unto him for as long as you both shall live?"