1

A young toddler with silky black hair waddled into a storeroom piled high with scrolls: most, if not all of the scrolls had an aura of mystery, and the toddler wanted to touch them. The toddler's name was Minato Uzumaki Uchiha, and at 2 years old, he was overly curious about everything, and these scrolls were no different. Mummy wasn't watching, so Minato was free to wander. As his chubby little hand reached up for the nearest scroll, he slipped, falling to the floor. Surprised, young Minato started to cry: this was most definitely not fun. Upon hearing his cries, a young man of around 15 dashed into the storeroom, a pink - haired girl and a masked boy behind him. Minato, recognising his brother, reached out for him just as a scroll on the uppermost shelf tumbled down.

"Minato!"

In the next second, the three intruders were gone, leaving only a confused and crying toddler.

***

Menma Uzumaki Uchiha woke up in a field of grass, the delicate stems brushing against his skin. He bolted upright, black hair in its usual disarray as his blue eyes scanned his surroundings.

"Ugh, what happened Men'?" A lilting female voice asked. Relieved, Menma turned around and saw his best friend, Memory Haruno Hyuga, sitting upright dazedly.

"I'm not sure, Mem'," Menma replied, pulling a kunai out of its sheath. Memory copied as another groan alerted them to their third member's presence: Houki Hatake Umino. A year older than them, Houki was not on their genin team: but their third member, Mitsuki, had taken sick so Houki had joined them. The three of them had just been returning a report to Menma's mum - er - dad when, on the way out, they'd heard Minato's cries. Then the scroll has fallen and...

"Look, it's the scroll!" Memory suddenly said, sheathing her kunai to pick up the scroll. The parchment was aged and yellowing at the edges, definitely one of the older scrolls the Hidden Leaf Village had. Houki, who had finally gotten up, was adjusting his mask carefully, though both Menma and Memory had seen his mouth before: it was definitely a trait Houki picked up from his Papa.

"Can I see that, Memory?" Houki asked a second later, hand held out patiently. As the Chunin of the group, and soon to be Jounin, Memory had no choice but to hand it over, pale white eyes meeting Houki's black ones. As she turned around, Menma stifled a giggle: there were some dandelions caught in her hair.

"What?" Memory said irritably.

"You've just got some..." Menma said, picking at her pink hair. "This is why you should cut it."

"And be like Mom? She's beautiful and all, but I like my hair this way."

"It was just a suggestion!"

"Guys," Houki interrupted. "This is one of the forbidden scrolls."

Menma rolled his sky blue eyes.

"Duh, it was in the storeroom."

Houki, looking very much done with everything and very much like his Papa, sighed.

"This one has a special seal. I don't want to open it again so Memory, could you look at it with your Byakugan?"

"Sure."

Menma watched as veins ran up the side of Memory's face and her eyes sharpened. Having seen his teammate use her Byakugan multiple times, Menma decided surveying the surroundings would be better. Ignoring the other two, the whiskered boy ran up the nearest tree, his eyes meeting a massive rock cliff. There were seven faces carved onto the cliff, and beneath it was a sprawling village that Menma knew like the back of his hand. The Hidden Leaf Village. Konoha. And yet something wasn't right.