Entry 58, Part 2

I pushed open the door of the lecture hall and everyone turned to look at me.

Still dripping wet and with mud all over, I walked back to my seat.

"What happened to you, Opolka?" Jovaisa asked.

"I had to ask that man a question but I did not realize it was King Arus so when I saw who it was I slipped and fell in the mud."

"Hm. What question did you ask?"

"It is a secret." I went to the row Tytus was on and slid behind the other cadets. I sucked in my gut to avoid mud smearing on their cloaks, but it didn't always work. Plopping in my seat was uncomfortable, but at least I wasn't cold.

Then, more thunder prompted me to lower my head onto the table. Tytus patted my back to help console me. But he didn't hug me, or pull me close to his chest, or kiss me on the forehead while telling me everything will be okay.

Granted, that last one would never happen, but it spoke to a wider issue. This 'we're not actually brother and sister' realization was leading to problems in the short term. Just because he's aware of me as a girl doesn't mean he can shirk his duties when thunder rolls around!

Jovaisa went on to talk about a few more things in the lecture hall, but I didn't hear the name Guillermo, so I didn't pay attention. After that, we got sent out to collect our things, and Jovaisa said we'd all meet at the train station in a few hours. We wouldn't see the training facility again until our seven year term of service was up.

So as we left the lecture hall, I grabbed Tytus by the cloak and pulled him to the side.

"Y-yeah, Mal?" He kept a distance, and seemed to have a hard time looking me in the eyes. I was still damp, but not dripping wet, and my hair was a mess.

"It is storming outside."

"It is, yes."

"I hate it."

"I've noticed."

"..." I opened my arms wide, "hug me to make me feel better."

He sighed, "Mal, I... we can't do that anymore."

"I will clean your clothes later."

"What? No, it's not that. Things are different now." He pushed my arms down, "you had the right idea about things, but I was mistaken, and I'm sorry about that. But us... 'cuddling'? It's not okay."

"..." Thunder echoed through the hall, and my body tightened, I had to brace against the wall.

He instinctively put a hand out, but pulled back before he touched my shoulder. "And you know what? I don't think you should hug that Lubomir punk either."

"He is my friend."

"Just a friend. You see what I'm saying?"

"..."

"...Of course I know that you were just scared, but you have to consider how that stuff looks, you pinning him down on a couch and holding him tight."

"..." I shot my hand forward and pinched his sensitive ear.

"EIH!" He squeaked out in shock. My grip strength could tear flesh off Ludwik's arms, so I could have easily ripped his ear off if I wanted. Instead, I pulled him down so our heads were level, and I could speak into his ear. He kept flinching and wincing, he gripped my wrist but couldn't get me to release.

"You will listen to me. Bastard. I do not care what mental problems you have. I hate thunder. I have always hated thunder. You know I hate thunder. I will not suffer through storms alone just because you were mistaken for two centuries."