Entry 61-63

Entry 61

Day 6, Month 1, Year 573

Trains. Endless trains.

We stopped in some city on the vast plains east of Pelda. It was cold. We were given an hour of free time until the next train arrived. From what I understand, the city was built as a train-stop, since the existing cities out here we're too spread out for the trains to travel. But trains weren't invented until like a hundred years ago or something, so this city has no link to pre-protectorate history. I didn't even know it existed.

Obviously I went to a restaurant.

Tytus, Tobiasz, and Moa followed me. Lubomiła was probably off with Anatol somewhere, and Marian was doing something with Ludwik.

"My harem is dwindling by the day." I said as I ate my chips.

"Huh?" Moa said.

"Nothing."

"How much longer until we reach Basugio, do you guys think?" Tytus asked.

"Three months." Tobiasz hunched over his plate as pieces of his meal started disappearing beyond his long strands of hair.

"Three months?! Why do you say that?"

"I guessed."

Tytus rolled his eyes. "So Moa," the little fairy sat on Tobiasz's head, slowly eating one of my chips which was bigger than her torso. "Why exactly did you want to join the scout corps?"

Her ears perked, "fun and adventure! The grove I grew up in was just too stuffy and awful. So many rules and regulations, but I grew up hearing stories of the famed peldaks, I wanna see what you guys have to offer." She took a happy bite of the chip, then gave a thumbs up, "the food is much better than just tree sap and nectar!"

"But if you want to see what the peldaks have to offer, why are you leaving Peldor? The peldak homeworld?"

"Cause the peldaks built the Peldak Protectorate, duh."

Tytus narrowed his brow, "but... we're the scout corps. We'll be leaving the Protectorate."

"..." She stared blankly.

"The entire point is to go beyond the borders of peldak territory."

"Oh. Right... well, at least I'm still seeing fun and adventure. Except the Ashland stuff, that was awful. But I mean, hey, I've already seen two girls fall in love, and for one, the man even returned her feelings!"

"Two?" Tytus cocked his head, "who's the other? Someone in Linda's group?"

"Teehee," Moa winked, "not telling, that's not something for me to say."

Tytus thought for a moment, then smiled. "Ah, I think I know who you're talking about." He raised his drink, "I hope that poor boy figures it out, he clearly likes her too but doesn't realize it."

I raised my drink, Tobiasz raised his, Moa raised her chip over her head.

Later, when we were back on the train, Moa flew to my shoulder when Tytus was off somewhere. "So are all men blind to romance, or is Tytus just super not self-aware?"

"I think it is both. Tytus is especially bad."

She put a sympathetic hand on my ear, "you'll be in my prayers."

****

Entry 62

Day 9, Month 1, Year 573