4 - Something Amiss

(232 Before Age - 5 years later)

Yamoshi stayed up late at night. He was eighteen years old now. Just as the sun rose on the horizon, so did his marriage to Saffron from Daikon Village. He tossed and turned but anger gripped him, holding on tight until he couldn't stand it anymore. He dressed and jumped out of his window, seeking anything to distract him.

He walked around for what could've been hours until a small gasp caught his attention.

It was a short girl that reached up to his chest. Her hair was wild and frizzy but straight, and her bangs covered her eyes, making the girl even more mysterious.

Yamoshi hesitated, feeling something familiar about this girl.

"Apologies," she quickly muttered and hurried off.

He blinked. He had never seen this girl before, and he knew everyone in Wasabi Village. Could they really have a visitor this late in year?

No. There was nothing special about this village.

Suspicious, Yamoshi quietly trailed her. He was surprised at how silent her bare feet were or how her brown, leathered cape never fluttered a sound. His suspicion only grew.

This was a girl skilled at being stealthy.

In a blink of an eye, she snatched a loaf of bread from a stand opening up for a new day of market.

Yamoshi's eyes widened. So fast.

She crossed over to the other side, hiding herself amongst other villagers. There was a fruit stand she was about to pass. Her hand began to move from her side.

"Stop."

The girl's lips parted in surprise at Yamoshi's firm grip on her wrist. She might have been fast, but he was faster.

Yamoshi frowned at her. "Care to explain yourself?"

But upon closer look, he loosened his grip. She was so thin and weak, but she never trembled or fought back.

The vendor woman stared curiously at them. "Is something the matter, Yamoshi?"

He let the girl go. "I... wanted to buy a pound of your best."

The vendor smiled. "Oh! Of course! What a great way to start the day!"

Yamoshi offered a smile but eyed the girl to make sure she didn't run away.

She didn't move an inch.

He waited awkwardly for the woman to pack and hand him the fruit. In return, he handed more than enough money. Before the vendor could protest, he insisted she keep the change.

Yamoshi offered a polite smile and hurried away with the girl. Once they were alone, he let her go.

"Why did you do that...?" the girl questioned.

Yamoshi wasn't sure what to tell her. All he could think about was the girl with curly hair long ago. "I'm not sure where you're from, but here, we don't steal food."