1. HER NAME IS AMELIA

A long time ago, somewhere near the sea...

─────────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───────────

It was almost dark when her first cry in this world was heard.

The woman fell back in the bed, exhausted but elated, and extended her arms towards her child.

"Congratulations, my friend, you have a beautiful daughter!" said the midwife, Helen, handing the little one to her mother.

The mother, Alice, smiled as she held her daughter for the first time and turned her head to look at her husband.

He was standing near the bed, looking at his wife and daughter with so much love in his eyes, it was heartwarming to see.

"We have a daughter. I won the bet," she said, a teasing look on her face.

The man laughed, a tear escaping his eye. He huddled closer to the bed and hugged his wife.

"The boys are going to love her."

Helen approached her friend and asked, "Have you chosen a name yet?"

The couple looked at each other, a question in the man's eyes. Alice nodded.

"Her name is Amelia."

─────────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───────────

Boston, 2011

─────────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───────────

She opened the door and got into her apartment, immediately taking off her heels.

'Finally' she thought.

A delicious smell was coming from the kitchen, Amy no doubt preparing a birthday meal for her.

"Emma, is that you?" she asked, pouring herself a glass of water.

"No, it's the Evil Queen."

Amy choked on the water she was drinking and coughed a few times.

It was kind of pathetic, really; the power she had over Amy even after all this time, that all it took was a mention of her title and she was running for the hills.

She closed her eyes when she calmed down, realizing Emma was joking, which was completely normal seeing as she didn't know the truth. Yet.

She sighed. Today was not a good day for Amy.

For one, it was a Monday, and Mondays always suck. That's just common knowledge.

It was also Emma's 28th birthday and that sucked because it meant that in one way or another she'd have to face the past she left behind almost three decades ago.

How, she had no idea. She'd been waiting for a sign, something, anything, that would point her towards whatever she and Emma had to do, but so far no sign.

"What's that?" Emma asked her, pointing to the plate Amy very obviously was trying to hide behind her back.

"It's not finished yet. Go get changed and don't come out until I say so."

She laughed, walking towards her room, "Sir, yes sir!"

When she heard the door close, Amy set the plate to the counter and went to grab the candle. A simple, star-shaped, blue candle. She put it on top of the cupcake she'd made for her friend and then called out, "You can come now!".

Emma walked in the kitchen just as Amy started singing Happy Birthday in the most obnoxious voice she could master because that's what friends were for, right?

"Aw, thank you. Is that for m-wait." her smile dropped. "Is that a blueberry cupcake?"

"Yes."

"Amy, you don't know how to make blueberry cupcakes." Emma said, slightly concerned but teasing her nonetheless.

"Well, now I do. Come on," she said, tugging on Emma's hand to bring her closer to the counter, "make a wish."

Emma huffed a little laugh before leaning her head down and, after closing her eyes and making a wish, she blew out the candle.

Amy clapped and started singing again, but she was soon interrupted by a knock on the door.

Her smile dropped in an instant, her heart beating so fast it was the only thing she could hear.

Shit.

"I'll go!" she said, practically running towards the door.

She was expecting anything, really; a dragon, a dwarf, the Evil fucking Queen knocking down her door...

What she was not expecting, however, was to open the door and see a mini person that looked a hell of a lot like someone from the past she so desperately tried to run from.

She was sure she had stopped breathing, her heart ceasing all functions.

It felt as if a distant memory was reaching from the depths of her mind, pulling her close and trying to tear her apart.

Just as he'd done.

Her vision blurred for a moment before she took a deep breath, steeling herself for what's to come.

She supposed this was the sign she'd been waiting for.

─────────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───────────
HelenMand happy new year bitch