2. MORE LIKE ACQUAINTANCES

Boston, 2011

──────────────────────────

The boy looked up at her, a wondering look on his face.

She looked back at him for a moment longer and then yelled, "Emma! It's for you."

She heard footsteps behind her and then Emma appeared on the doorway, a slight frown on her face which only deepened when she saw the kid.

The boy turned to her with a smile on his face. A very familiar smile.

Fucking hell, she thought. She felt as though she was transported back to that village, all those years ago, when she met him for the first time.

"Um, can I help you?" she said.

"Are you Emma Swan?" he asked, even though he clearly knew the answer already.

Something in him, his smile, his voice, his eyes, something must've tipped her off as to who this kid was because Amy could see the way her friend's eyes roamed over him, guarded and suspicious and pained.

"Yeah. Who are you?"

The boy smiled once again, that goddamn smile, and turned their whole world upside down with just a few simple words.

"My name's Henry. I'm your son."

Henry.

Amy's brain screamed at her, telling her that with the luck she's got, this could only mean one thing...

Fucking hell.

This was going to be a very long night.

──────────────────────────

Enchanted Forest, approximately forty years ago

──────────────────────────

"I interrupted my hunt for whatever shit idea you've come up with, again. This better be worth it, Rumple," she said as she took a seat near the man.

"Yes, yes, I know," he said, waving his arms as if he was trying to swat an annoying bug away. "But you're going to like this one. Very much, if I do say so myself."

He giggled like he knew something she didn't.

The bastard probably did.

She sighed, tired of his shit. She started making some tea, which always helped her relax, especially when she had to deal with him.

"So, why'd you call me here?"

He took some moments to answer, busy with whatever potion he was making.

"The Queen has passed away. She was defeated by a terrible, terrible illness, you see."

She froze, the cup almost slipping from her fingers.

She made some quick mental calculations.

Rumple would never have called her for something as trivial as Queen Ava's death.

Unless, of course, it wasn't just a terrible, terrible illness that killed her.

"That still doesn't explain why you called me here," she asked, feeling a bit nervous to know his answer.