7. YOUR MAJESTY

"So, what's the story?"

"What story?"

"Between you and Miss Mayor."

Amy continued making the bed, completely ignoring Emma and her uncomfortable, yet valid nonetheless, questions.

She didn't now how exactly she was supposed to explain to her best friend that the woman who raised her son was actually the Evil Queen, who'd cursed the entire town in an attempt to get her happy ending, and that the two of them had met almost thirty years ago and fell in love while Amy was teaching her magic so that the Queen could, one day, cast said curse.

Not to mention the messed up family tree of the aforementioned son and everything that entails.

Emma sure as hell wasn't ready to know all of this yet and Amy wasn't ready to tell her either, so she would happily continue ignoring her friend if it meant avoiding those conversations. At least until she comes up with a believable story for all this shit.

Two days in this godforsaken town and she was already stressed more than she ever had been for the past decade or so.

"Pass me the pillows, please," she said, extending her hand, in a poor attempt to change the subject.

Emma didn't bite. She passed the pillows, yes, but the look on her face told Amy she wouldn't be able to escape this interrogation for long.

A knock on the door was the last thing either of them was expecting, but there it was. They glanced at each other, her in a T-shirt and a pair of jeans and Emma only in a white undershirt and her underwear, before Amy went to open the door.

And when she did open it, she started laughing so hard she could feel tears in her eyes.

Regina was standing in front of her, an unimpressed look on her face and a basket full of fucking apples in her arms, because of course it would be apples.

Amy was still laughing as she turned back to Emma. "It's for you," she managed to say before collapsing in a fit of giggles.

She didn't miss how Regina's gaze flitted around the room, taking note of Emma's attire, and her sitting in the bed, before finally settling on Emma again, something akin to bitterness in her eyes. Interesting. "Did you know the honeycrisp tree is the most vigorous and hardy of all apple trees? It can survive temperatures as low as forty below and keep growing. It can weather any storm. I have one that I've tended to since I was a little girl. And to this day, I have yet to taste anything more delicious than the fruit it offers," she said, offering one to Emma, who, despite being confused as hell, thanked her in response.

At this point Amy was sure that 'died because she couldn't stop laughing at her ex girlfriend's antics' would be written on her tombstone.

What on earth was Regina doing? Was this some sort of move to show Emma who's in charge? Because if it was, Amy had to admit that it was terrible.

"I'm sure you'll enjoy them on your drive home."

And there it was. The reason for this shitshow; Regina wanted them gone. Amy wasn't the best at recognizing and handling her own feelings, but she knew that the nod in her chest getting tighter wasn't a good feeling. It stung a bit—quite a fucking bit—if she were honest. Almost thirty years, and already Regina wanted her gone.

So much for forever.

She pushed those thoughts as far back in her mind as she could, turning her attention back to the other two women present.

"Actually, we're gonna stay for a while," said Emma, and Amy would be lying if she said she didn't enjoy the way Regina's self-satisfied smirk fell.

She glanced at her, before returning her gaze to Emma, determination evident in her eyes. "I'm not sure that's such a good idea. Henry has enough issues, he doesn't need you confusing him."