walburga's interference

Harry knocked on Sirius's door hesitantly. There was no response, though he could hear Buckbeak walking around and his godfather hushing him. Harry knocked again, and Hermione's hand closed around his fist. She shook her head.

The trio had thought over the argument they'd heard. Hermione had argued that Molly was probably right, that the house was making Sirius sentimental to the past and the version of his brother he'd known here. Ron was banned from hearing anymore of Regulus Black, and was sulking away with Ginny tidying the drawing room.

But Harry knew that there was something more. That Sirius was right. He spoke terribly of all his family besides Andromeda, (but notably said nothing at all about Narcissa) and so he couldn't see why he would lie. His godfather was sane. Harry knocked again.

"Piss off Remus. I don't want tea, I don't want to talk, I want to be left alone" Sirius shouted at the door.

Hermione took a step back and frowned. "Well that's not a very nice way to speak to someone who cares about you, Sirius" she said haughtily.

The door opened quickly, and he looked down at the pair in surprise. "Harry. Hermione. I'm... sorry about that"

"We heard what Molly said" Harry said bluntly, Hermione's face still in a deep frown.

Sirius didn't reply, and so Harry continued "we'd like to hear the rest. To know what happened to Regulus and Violette."

The silence on the landing was insufferably heavy.

"You're not allowed" Sirius said finally. "Get us all in to trouble. Of course Regulus is getting me shouted at again in this house. I bet he's laughing up there"

"Ron's not allowed" Hermione corrected. "And aren't all four of us known for doing things we're not allowed to?"

A ghost of a smile came across Sirius's face.

"At night. Meet me here later. I'll skip forward a bit, seeing as we'll have to get through this story quickly"

***

The Slytherin Common Room was quiet, Regulus taking the early hours as an opportunity to write a letter. His mother had written the night before. Both Black brothers had been crossing their fingers, praying for the family owl to turn toward the other's house table at dinner. Sirius lucked out.

The owl dropped a letter in their mother's script onto his plate and had accepted a chip as payment. He perched on Regulus's shoulder, digging his claws through the jacket he was wearing and drawing blood from his skin.

Regulus,

I am writing to tell you that you must come home for Christmas this year, it is absolutely imperative that you do. I don't need to tell you the consequences, I'm sure you are aware by now.

Mother

When he had looked up, Sirius had been watching him with a hidden concern.

Regulus looked at the letter now, hoping to find the right words to pen his reply. It was just like Walburga to write short letters, letting fear fester over the term, making you wonder what she had planned. And of course making sure you're aware of the punishment.

The sound of footsteps filled the room in an echo and he quickly folded his mothers letter and stuffed it in his pocket. Dorcas Meadows appeared moments later, her long braids piled in a towering bun at the top of her head. Her full lips quirked into a smile as she made her way over to him. "Reg"

He cleared his throat and nodded to her. "Meadows"

She sat down beside him carefully and waited for him to say more. It was always a waiting game with him, she had realised when they'd become friends in first year. Waiting for him to speak when he was ready.