Chapter 4 - Crash and Burn

We stayed in the parkinglot of the dealership for quite awhile before we started to go back to the base. A few sales people came out and talked to us about buying a car but we payed them no attention. I still didn't know the other peoples names with on the mission, but at this point I think it was too late to ask. The mission was a waste of time and planning. But what could they be doing right now instead? The car ride between Brice and I was silent the whole way back to the base.

"Brice... theres smoke."  I said to him as we were driving down a gravel road that we take to get to the base.

"I see it, Ivy. I think it might be from a farmer around here burning a brush pile. Don't worry about it." He turned to look at me while he talked, yet still driving.

"Keep your eyes on the road." I replied and then sat back into my seat with my arms crossed. Something still doesn't feel right.

As we got closer I got more and more sure that it was the base burning. I mean, what else really? Ok so maybe a brush pile could produce a lot of smoke but still. Everything just seems off.

"Brice the base is burning!" I basically screamed in his ear, and I unbuckled my seat belt. "Slow down and let me out."

"What no! Im not going to let you out its a fire!" He grabbed my hand and he took off his sunglasses so I could see his eyes. He lowered his head and his voice. "I don't want anything to happen to you."

I bit my lip, and leaned over to hug him, he awkwardly hugged back. "I'll be fine, let me out." I told him sternly, my hand now on the handle ready to open the car door. Brice sighed and hung his head. Then with the small click, I opened the door and raced out. Not giving him a second glance.

I ran towards the smoke and fire. I honestly didn't know what I am going to do, but I think Ill figure it out along the way. People were gathered around, watching it burn. "Is anyone still in there?" I asked around, hoping everyone was out.

"No, there is still a few people trapped, not sure how we can get them out." A man told me, he looked a few years older.

"Where are they?"

"Main entrance.  The big pillars fell and they cant get out. The rest of us got out before they fell."

The main entrance, hey I know how I can get them out! With that thought, I ran to the backside of the building and got in those doors. I pushed another door to get to a hallway but it wouldn't budge. I pounded on the door in frustration. Great, now what? The smoke was starting to burn my eyes. Wait, I have one more idea. I took off to the woods in the back. I ran as fast as I could. What seemed like forever ago, I came to my old cottage in the woods. I raced inside, everything was torn, and bookshelves tipped over, drawers and papers scattered all over the floor.

No time to look at the damage. I went down to the tunnels where Mother, or Heather I should say, lead me to the UAA. I then ran down the tunnels. Ive been sprinting so much my lungs were burning, and sweat was trickling down my neck and face. My legs felt like they were going to give out, and
I could already tell I pulled a few muscles.

I cranked the lever, and as soon as the door started sliding open above me, I was hit with blasting heat and smoke. I coughed and climbed up.

"Hey guys, over here! Anyone still alive, or in here." I stood and listened. The flames and smoke all around me. All I could hear was the fire crackling and popping. After what seemed like a hours, I heard someone coughing. "Over here!" I yelled. Then after waiting a little bit, three people came out of the smoke and flames. The ran to me when they saw me. "Get down here, quickly."

They went and did as I told. I didn't bother asking names, I just led them back to my cottage in the woods. I was half carrying a woman, who had a big burn in her left leg, and she was trying to stay strong, saying she didn't need help walking, but didn't protest when I hooked my arm around her shoulders, and she leaned against me.

When we got back to the cottage, I had them sit in which once was the kitchen by the window. I found some water and gave it to them. No one said a word. Then I heard a whistle coming from outside. I looked out the window, and there standing in the middle of the pathway, almost hidden in the shade of the trees. Was a man, whistling.