Chapter 18 - Princessnapped

"Go out the window, so then no one will see you." Chase told me and opened up the window in his bedroom.

I stared at the five-story drop. "Chase, are you crazy? I'll die!" I hissed.

"No, you have to fall about five feet to that little ledge. See? Then make your way around the corner, and there is a fire escape. We can make our way back into the woods from there." Chase explained, pointing and using hand gestures while he was talking.

I blinked at him. "We? Are you coming with me?" I asked, trying to keep the excitement and relief out of my voice when I talked. I didn't want to go alone, and he's good company. I don't want it to show, that I like him being with me so much but sometimes I can't help it.

"Yeah, I'll go with you." He blushed. "Unless you don't want me to."

"No no no I want you to," I said very quickly. The wind kicked in and came in through the open window, blowing back my hair. "Lead the way."

Chase smiled and jumped down, I followed. The small ledge we were walking on was about a foot wide, our bodies were flat up against the wall, and we more shuffled than we did walk, but I wasn't taking any chances of falling. We took our sweet time rounding the corner of the building to get to the fire escape.

"Uhhhmm, do we have to jump?" I asked Chase worriedly. There was about a four-foot gap from the ledge to the fire escape platform, and even then, we would have to jump down on the stairs because there was no way we could jump over the railing.

"Yes, I've done this a lot before. Just watch your head when you jump and try to land on the stair I do because it is bigger." Chase casually told me as if this didn't freak him out at all.

My hands were shaking violently at this point. I just nodded my head in agreement. I watched as Chase jumped with ease down to the stairs, tucking his head down so he wouldn't hit it on the platform above, which he missed just by a few inches. I won't have that problem because I'm a lot shorter than he is.

"Jump, come on, Ivy!" Chase called up to me. Nearly frozen in fear, I watched him. I didn't think I was scared of heights, I've climbed tons of trees in my lifetime, but I've never experienced a height like this.

My muscles tensed as I took a step forward. I drew in a breath and jumped. I didn't exactly judge the distance quite right, so I nearly landed on top of the railing on the other side of the stair. Luckily, Chase was there and pulled me back.

He grabbed my hand and spun me back to him, my face colliding with his hard and muscular chest.

"Ow! Really?" I grimaced as I pulled back from him as I gingerly felt my nose to see if it was broken.

Chase bit his lip and drew his eyebrows together in a concerned look. "Sorry, but you over jumped. If I didn't stop you, you probably would have broken a rib or something slamming into that iron railing."

"Ok, I guess you're right. But that doesn't define the fact that there is blood running from my nose like a waterfall." I said sarcastically and pointed to my nose, which was now bleeding. A lot.

"We need to go Ivy." Chase remarked. Completely ignoring me and my fatality injured state.

I sighed and pressed the sleeve of the hoodie I was now wearing up to my face. "Lead the way."

We took off down the stairs, and then when we reached the bottom, Chase barely looked back to acknowledge me, and then he sprinted off into the woods. I had no other choice but to follow.

As we entered a small meadow filled with flowers and tall grass, Chase came to a sudden stop. I did the same. My hands were resting on the back of my neck, opening up my lungs as I caught my breath.

"Why are we stopping?" I choked out between breaths.

He didn't answer for a few moments, lost in his thoughts.

"Something isn't right." He said slowly while turning to look at me.

I looked at him confused. "How?"

"Listen, no birds, no animals rustling around. It's not right for a forest."

"Maybe there is a predator around or something."

Chase's face suddenly hardened at my comment. He whipped around and scanned the trees. I just stood there and watched him, trying to read his guarded facial expression.

"Ivy." He was now right in front of me, his blue eyes blazing.

"Yes?" I answered, my voice barely an audible whisper.

He sighed. "When I tell you to run, you run." I nodded in return.

We stood there in silence for a minute. He was barely breathing, and I did the same. His body language was so tense, and his face was so concentrated in the forest around us. I strained my ears to listen for something, anything. If only I knew why he was acting like this.

"Ivy, get down!" Chase shouted at the same time gunshots echoed through the trees.

I stood there, nearly frozen. My muscles didn't have enough time to react before Chase had me wrapped up in his arms as he threw us onto the ground. Thankfully, he twisted, so we both landed on our sides and not him on top of me.

Haven't I had enough drama for one day? Like seriously. Now what? I thought as I lay there on the ground, not daring to take a breath or even open my eyes. I could hear the blood rushing in my ears and my heart felt like it was about to burst out of my chest. I hate this and I hate this life, I just want to go back to the simpler life back in the cottage.

I heard footsteps approach, Chase's arms tightened around me, pulling me the slightest bit closer.

"Chase stay on the ground. Ivy get up." A man's voice ordered calmly.

I opened my eyes to see Chase looking at me, my face inches from his with fear, and a few other emotions I couldn't register.

I tried to wriggle out of his grasp but his arms remained stiff as a rock. His hands gripped my back and shoulders like if he let me go I'd disappear. I heard the man sigh.

"Chase," I whispered, keeping my voice low so that the man couldn't hear. "You have to let me go. We don't know what he's here for."

His arms un-latched from me, and I quickly stood up, facing the newcomer.

Immediately I groaned. "Brandon? Seriously? Can't you leave me alone for a day?"

"Sorry princess. I have business to attend to." He replied with a cold smile. Brandon then looked slightly to his right and nodded. The next thing I knew I heard Chase yell my name, so I turned towards him when something knocked into the back of my head, and everything went into a black daze.

I don't even remember hitting the ground.

_______________

Hope you guys liked this chapter! I haven't been updating as much as I would like, it's basiclly when I feel like it or have time. So thank you for your patenice, don't forget to vote!

Love you guys since you made it this far!! ❤️❤️

- Randy