s i x t e e n

"Viktor! I got something!"

Still drowsy from sleep and fresh from my bed, I stumbled away from the monitors to the master bedroom where I knocked loudly, my chest brimming with excitement and hope.

"Viktor!"

The door flew open and wind brushed my face and the curls of my hair that stood straight and out of my braided pigtails. I'd have to redo that. Viktor stood before me, loose grey sweats and a orange graphic tee, alert and completely awake.

"What is it Peach?" he asked worriedly, carefully looking me over. "You can't shout like that."

"Sorry," I apologized and yawned, unable to keep it in. I put a hand over my mouth and when it passed, I shook my head. "Your doppleganger messaged."

We both rushed back to the monitors as Viktor read _m.a.r.k.v.i.k_'s message aloud.

_m.a.r.k.v.i.k_: Kill him or you die.

And then there was a notification of a deposit in the hitmen account.

"Trace the transaction," Viktor ordered and I sat in the chair in front of him. 

"On it."

My fingers flew over the keyboard, my mind processing things faster than I thought was possible early morning after a nap. My head was still slightly fogged but it cleared as adrenaline run through my veins, burning with the promise of a rush.

"Ok so the deposit was made with Summit Holdings Inc., a bank that's not even that big. We have half a million on here," I stated.

"Bank account name of our doppleganger?"

"One second," I said dragging the words out as I squinted at the screen, trying to get what he needed. Reading the name, I frowned. "Chyornye den'gi? What is that?

"Chyornye den'gi. It is Russian for Black Money," Viktor said and then swore in the very language he'd explained to me.

I turned, raising my head to see him above me. His expression was angry, murderous and if I was being honest... kinda hot.

Kill me now.

"What's up? I guess this is ringing bells you don't want to hear," I pointed out. "Tell me everything. Policy."

Viktor run a hand through his hair and kept it on his head, looking more confused than I was comfortable with. "Summit Holdings is a secret bank owned by the Bratva. That account is my family account. There are only three living people who know about it."

I wanted to be happy that this narrowed down our search but Viktor seemed to be on the edge so I kept my mouth shut. "Who are the three people?" I inquired instead.

"Me, my little sister Kira and... Markov."

More Russian curses. I turned to the monitors, shocked and searching the screen for something that might help shade some more light on our current situation. I jumped and turned back to the raging Don when I heard glass shatter.

"Viktor!" I scolded seeing that he had kicked the glass coffee table that used to sit with the couches in the corner. "What the hell?!"

"Moy dyadyai..." he stressed with a scowl on his face. "pytayetsya ubit' menya!"

I stood up with a sigh, knowing I had to be the calm one and the voice of reason in this whole situation.

"First off Viktor, lay off the Russian will you. I'm not linguistic and I suggest you calm the fuck down. Now, what's the matter?" I said gently, keeping my voice soft and calm.