t w e n t y - f o u r

Warning: blood, gore, shooting and murder :)

V I K T O R     M A K A R O V I C H — T H E      B U T C H E R

I had never understood the term 'necessary evil' until I said six hurtful words to Peach.

You mean what's left of it.

It wasn't necessary for me to be so angry at her. Every time she made me frustrated, all I had to do was look into her big brown eyes and slowly, the anger would dissipate. She had power over me, I knew that which is why when I found out about her brother... I realised it was best if we didn't get any closer than we already were.

Now we were close to being under siege.

I glanced at Peach as she was being dragged away, moving slow and shivering in her layers of clothes. I wanted to scold her on why she'd gone out in this weather with little on. Her skin was usually cool but now she was cold to the touch, something I didn't like. But I'd rather have her freezing than dead. I knew if she went with the others, she'd be safe.

I turned in the opposite direction and went to find my uncle. He was already barking orders, telling people to gear up and get ready. We only had one advantage and that was the fact that the attack had been foreseen.

"What Peach was saying is right I presume?" I asked my uncle and he nodded.

"I had them play back camera footage and they've been watching us for a while."

I let out a breath. Ok. "Get everyone from top floors and make sure they are centered in the middle then file then out slowly."

"Already done," my uncle assured me. People were running around us, the sound of guns being loaded for battle filled the office floor.

"Can we ID our attackers?" I asked and my uncle called forward a small petite blonde woman with glasses.

"Tell him what you told me."

"Well, Mr. Makarovich," the blonde begun looking nervous as a rosy blush dusted her cheeks. "It seems like the men attacking us are... our own."

"What?" I almost snapped at her.

"The van is from a branch of ours in Russia. I checked and it had been cleared for transport here months ago, along with a few other weapons."

I cursed and run a hand through my hair. What the hell was going on? Our mafia was turning in on itself.

"They are trying to destroy us from the inside out," I realised and everything was slowly making sense.

"Yes but who?!" my uncle raged.

I shook my head. I didn't know. Someone had inner access to the Bratva and enough sway to use our resources. By killing me, the mafia would have a little struggle for power since the pure Makarovich line would be cut. My uncle might have been family but his blood detached here and there. No one wanted to settle for second best. And Kira... no. Just no. I was keeping my sister as far away from this as possible.

"For now, we fight back. Shoot to kill," I ordered using my anger to fuel my need to figure this whole thing out. We'd been hitting dead ends everywhere we went.