t w e n t y - f i v e

Warning: blood, gore, shooting and murder :)

A body dropped with a thump behind me. I turned and looked at one of the men who I'd disabled in the beginning with a hand unto his throat as blood seeped between his fingers.

Peach.... saved me?

"Viktor?" she called and the sound of her voice cut through the fog my bloodlust created in my mind. Her hand reached out when I turned, cradling my cheek, brushing over my stubble. I realised she was wiping blood from my face.

"You aren't supposed to be here?" I stated though more confusion laced my tone than anger. How was she here? I'd made sure she was safe. I'd gotten her out. My mind was still slow, trying to decide whether she was a hallucination or not.

"I came back for your condescending ass," she grumbled at tagged at my blood stained arm, pulling me towards the exit. "The battle's lost Viktor. I don't know who these guys are but they have some serious military training. Everyone's moving out."

I moved with her though my legs were dragging like I was wading through thick water. Battles like this never lasted long. Bullets killed as fast as they flew and by the time more than a dozen had left different barrels, there was no hope.

"I prepared the jeep for us to go," Peach informed me and I wondered how as we both jumped over dead bodies in our hast escape down the stairs. "Where's Markov? I'm assuming you want to save him as well. We don't have much time."

"Dead," I said in a voice that matched his state. "Sniper."

"Fuck!" Peach cursed, stumbling a little in surprise. She turned to look at me, her brows frowning in worry for me I was assuming. I gave a her a dead stare back, which did not ease her one bit. "Later." she decided and laced her fingers through my bloodied ones, pulling me more down the stairs.

I focused on her hand. The feel of the cool calloused and slender fingers between mine. I grounded myself to her touch and the way my warmth kindled in the moment we shared. My mind slowly cleared as I matched her pace, not just following her on autopilot.

We reached the basement and Peach reached for the door first but I pulled her back, causing her to stumble lightly into my chest. I had to let go of her hand and put my hands around her smaller waist to stop her from falling over. Once she settled, I bent to her line of sight to get her attention.

"I go first," I commanded and I expected her to fight me on it but she didn't, nodding with a look that said she trusted me. God.... this woman.

I moved away from her, detaching myself hesitantly, not wanting to give my hands the time to get familiar with the curves of her body. I stood by the door, pulling yet another gun from my belt. I was down to just this Walther PDP but it was fully loaded and ready to kill.

The basement to my surprise was clear, all and our jeep which was hidden under a black tarp. Peach and I pulled it off in a haste and we got in, me in the driver's seat. The key was already in the ignition and I turned the machine on, pulling out of the garage, tears squealing and the smell of rubber invading my nose.

"Where are we going?" Peach asked, her voice calm and steady despite everything.

"There was a plan B. In the case that we had to fall back, there is a warehouse down the street where secret panic rooms have been installed."

"Do you think it's safe?"

"As long as you're with me and that you stay close," I stated, my voice cold and serious to get my point across. "When I tell you to run, you dash for the hills. When I tell you to hide, you have to be as silent as a grave and when I tell you to close your eyes, you keep them fucking shut no matter what you see or hear. Understood?"