n i n e t e e n

I knew make-up took time but I didn't know it took time.

Maybe because my face was bruised and Sunshine had a lot to cover but I'd been sitting for what felt like hours. Sunshine had started with my nails, moved to hot waxing my arms and legs which hurt a bunch. He was merciless. He'd gone for my eyebrows with vengeance and didn't take pity on my head when he pulled at my hair to get it into a low, sleek and puffy ponytail with a mid part. It was only when he shoved me into the bathroom with a dress that I got time to myself.

I felt well cleaned and primmed and even though I'd been through what felt like to get here, I felt as Viktor would put it.... pretty. The dress was very short, perfect for the occasion it had been more. It was made of silk and hugged my body perfectly, bringing more attention to my wide but slightly dipped hips. The neckline was a cute sweetheart that accented my chest and there were thin spaghetti straps that led to a low open back. I loved the nude colour of the dress, the way it made my skin seem darker and more vibrant.

I switched my large bandage to a small plaster that covered the healing gunshot wound on my thigh. The dress was long enough to hide it but not so. I could walk well enough because of the time it has had to heal but I didn't push myself because the stitches were still fresh and could pop.

I thanked my younger self for all the hours I'd spent wearing heels because Sunshine had handed me a strappy silver pair but they were a tad bit small. A pair of thin silver necklaces also hung around my neck, one shorter than the other, close to becoming a chocker. My dark eyeshadow had more of a siren look to it and my lips had just simply been glossed.

Standing in the mirror, dressed all chic, I felt different. More confident, more enchanting and that's all a woman really wants right? I'd never been dressed in clothes so revealing and yet so empowering. I felt like walking over the world in these heels, a giddy laughter tumbling softly from my lips as I posed in the mirror. Everyone needed this once in their lives.

Finishing up, I grabbed the set of studs on the bathroom sink and fixed all for of them into the double piercings of each ear. I opened up the door and walked into the room. It was empty, Viktor and Sunshine's voices coming from the living room. My heart raced, my mind wondering how Viktor would react to my little dress up project.

There was only one way to find out.

But damn did my stomach fall and churn. My breath caught in my throat and I had a hard time taking deep breaths. Nerves had seized me in a tight hold, one that was hard to push away. I tried to relax as much as I could, walking slowly towards the door, my heels clicking on the floor. They added me a few more inches in height and I felt like I towered over everything around me.

The door clicked softly as I opened it and stepped into the living room, putting my hands behind my exposed back. Viktor had his back to me so I assessed his outfit. His lower half was snugged into expensive looking light grey belted slacks. He wore a white button down shirt but he'd rolled up the sleeves. I could make more detail of the ink on his arms, the perfectly craved designs that made him seem all the more dangerous.

He wore a set of socks, his shoes nowhere to be seen. He was talking low with Sunshine, probably arguing about something but I couldn't catch the words as I moved forward after a slight hesitation on seeing Viktor. I could tell the moment both men realised I was in the room.

Sunshine raised his eyes to me and smiled like he'd done something worth his while and Viktor who was leaning down to pick something froze, his muscles straining as his head slightly tilted in my direction, his shaggy hair flopping. He was listening to my approach but he didn't turn.

"Did the shoes fit well?" Sunshine asked, not noticing Viktor's reluctance to glance my way. I noticed it, how could I not. My hands dropped and I wrung my hands together.