t h i r t y - t w o

Mrs. C left later in the evening when the snow fell and darkness covered the skies above. She was of course, reluctant to go but a good push out the door was best for Viktor and I.

I was still leaning with my back against the door, listening to Mrs. c descend the staircase in front of the house. I heard that she managed to skip the middle step. Seemed she knew that it was wonky at best. I travelled to the living room where Viktor sat on his phone. I settled down next to him and leaned back with a heavy breath.

"She's a lot fo work," the Don said in the silence, referring to Mrs. C.

"Yeah," I sighed and rubbed my eyes. "She means well though."

Viktor grunted, not agreeing but also not contradicting my statement. He didn't know her as well as I did and she hadn't had the chance to stay long enough with her to pass clear judgement. In the silence that lapsed between us, I let out a yawn, making sure to cover my mouth.

"You should go to bed," Viktor said.

"Who are you texting?" I asked instead.

Viktor sighed, knowing I wouldn't go and get the sleep I desperately needed. "My little sister. I'm making sure she knows we are coming over and I'm arranging the necessary security."

"Do you trust the people you're telling?"

"No," he stated truthfully. "But I don't see another way to talk to Kira."

I nodded, accepting that nothing was ever going to be the same. Not until Viktor's doppleganger was killed and we are able to get the mafia in order. I leaned close to the Don and placed my head on his shoulder, wondering how my life hd changed so drastically. Even the fact that I was here, in my old house... I thought I'd never step foot in this place again.

"You're dozing off," Viktor commented after a while and I had to blink the sleep out of my eyes because I had started to go to sleep.

"I'm not tired," I declared straightening up. Viktor turned to give me and incredulous look and I smiled lazily at him before leaning in and planting my lips on his.

I sighed at the simple bliss of this action and I brought my hand up to cradle his face, my fingers brushing along the stubble on his cheek. Viktor willingly opened his mouth for me and I couldn't help but smirk against his lips even as the tables turned and his movements dominated mine. His hand went around my waist and pulled me close until I was almost in his lap as our kiss changed tempo to something faster, hotter and more sinful. My head was clouded, my body warming up with desire as the heat of his body kindled a flame inside me that burned bright behind my closed lids.

"You're distracting me," Viktor breathed, slowly pulling back. When I opened my eyes to gaze into his, I noticed that his pupils were dilated and a deep blush rested on his cheeks..

"I'm not sure I understand what you're saying," I decided to play dumb, running my hands down, over his heaving chest, feeling his fast heartbeat under my fingertips.

Viktor cursed in Russian under his breath, leaning in to press only two short kisses on my lips before he detached himself from me.

"Bed," he commanded and I rolled my eyes but decided to oblige.

"Fine," I grumbled and got up, brushing non-existent dust off my mum's dress. "You'll sleep in my room."

"And you?" Viktor asked getting up, his dropped shoulders showing he was in fact, considering to go to sleep as early as he was making me.

"Don't worry about it. Go. I'll lock up," I suggested and we parted ways as I went around the ground floor, locking all doors and windows. Viktor went up the staircase and in my direction of my room.