Chapter 1

Here we go again, another morning of waking up alone. I stare at a bowl of water after getting ready. The early bird catches the worm and I hate that there is some truth to it. Since my husband is not here to whip us into order, I must do that.

I dream of Lan Wangji on most nights. His doll-like complexion, serious demeanour and manly robes. Don't get me started on the aesthetics, his hair was the scariest part of his ensemble. How do they flow graciously with the wind like a god descending to the earth? 

He plays me a song and asks of the children. Occasionally, I miss him so much it turns into naughty dreams. I locked the incense burner away, so I know it's not real when it happens. Lan Wangji was on a holy path to inner peace and I want to support him by staying out of his head and his pants.

But those nights are magical. I go to bed as early as ten, hoping to have longer visions of him. There I am a man-child he holds dear...and when I wake up, I am Madam Lan.

Point of correction, Master Wei.

 The other title was a label Jiang Cheng used to address me at the lotus pier weeks ago. That was the backlash for encouraging his sons to seek out their own adventure. Lan Jiang and Jiang Muyun are becoming the new faces of the cultivation world. People have high hopes for them. As for the twins, they are not allowed to night hunt on their own until I say they're ready. 

Enough of that, let's get back to the part where I go through a super-rehearsed routine to keep my family in check.

 Lan Sizhui ensures that every aspiring cultivator in the house is meditating by five thirty. This includes Lady MingXia. Hehe, that's what she wants to be called now. 

Breakfast is at seven and lessons start at eight. I handle a couple of senior students from the Cloud Recesses, which kind of stops me from becoming sloppy. 

The twins will forever be their dubious selves.  They have the intellect and zeal to teach so I left some juniors in their care. I can't take my eye off them these days. 

Making Wei Yulong sit in one place is impossible, not to talk of teaching him. I might take Wangji's plan of boating him over to Yunmeng seriously after all. 

Luckily for me, I had more help. The disciples from my grandmother's sect were more than happy to teach so I can take care of the place my husband built from scratch. Lan Wangji was so good at running this town.

 People show up at our doorstep at the slightest problem, and they leave it in my incapable hands to judge who is wrong or right. Me, the worst man to ask for advice on this earth?

Occasionally I find interesting cases that make me roll on the floor, but I dump the rest on Sizhui. Town head's spouse or not, I am not telling people how to live their lives.  

*Sigh* 

Lan Wangi, a year is harder than I anticipated. I'm anxious to step into the next month because, in a few weeks, things could go back to how they were and I will have you next to me...

PO.V ended.

**

The afternoon started with Zhihao, crashing into another court session with judge Wei Ying. "The kids are at it again. You've got to see this," his eyes were comically wide. Wei Ying flashed him a glance, then peeped at the people before him. 

"Just a second," Wei Ying showed his teeth in a wry grin. "Sizhui, handle this for me, will you," he said to his eldest disciple before running along with his informant.