Chapter 3

Caiyi Town, Gusu Lan. 

Wen Ning was in a tight spot. He put things in order the instant he got Wei Ying's message, yet now that he had to leave, his wife was getting in the way. At first, Jiayi just wanted to tag along for a fun adventure. 

"Honey, there are no women on this trip," Wen Ning alleged.

 To Jiayi, that was unacceptable. "What do you mean no women? What are you and my brother up to? I will confront him about this," she said, after dragging the issue for a while.

"But Dear, you will embarrass me if you do that. Let's not go to Master Wei."

"A'Ning, I am your wife. It is my duty to embarrass you when you're acting sneaky."

"I'm not being sneaky."

"Don't think I don't see the way the young ladies in this town look at you. Is that it? Are you planning on getting another wife on this trip, is that why I'm not allowed to go?" Jiayi found a way to rub her insecurities all over the situation. 

Lately, maidens in the town pooled up at the family clinic, asking to be treated by the legendary Ghost General. They would coquettishly hold up their handkerchiefs, feigning tears just to get Wen Ning to look up at their ankles for a nonexistent illness.  

As head physician, Jiayi banished her husband to the pharmacy to prevent jealousy from getting the best of her. That did not stop the bold ones from stalking Wen Ning each time he left the house. Now, out of the blue, this same Wen Ning was indirectly asking for space- that was how she interpreted Wei Ying's message. 

"No is the final answer!" Jiayi stomped through the compound, to the main house. The servants could hear them in the hallway. It was becoming a habit here; the Madam would nag her husband and he would beg his way into submission. A little unhealthy, but they made it work. Besides, they were the envy of the town.  

"Are you two quarrelling again?" Wen Li propped her head out of her room. She was getting fed up with babysitting two adults and an annoying brother. 

"No, sweetie, we're not quarrelling." Wen Ning tucked her head back in gently and shut the door. He then ran after his angry wife, using all the sweet honorifics he could think of. 

Inside their matrimonial room, Jiayi flings a dagger at Wen Ning the second he enters. The blade digs right into his chest and he clasped his teeth. 

"The next one will go straight to your eggplant if you say the wrong words," Jiayi was on edge.

"Are you sure you want me to lose that?" Wen Ning lowered his head like a puppy. 

"Wh...what?!" Jiayi's face turned beet red when her eyes wandered the area. "We already have children, what will I need that thing for?"

"A week ago you said that part of me was your favourite," Wen Ning begged to differ. 

"I did not!" Jiayi stuttered, that dagger was still pointed at Wen Ning. "Your eyes are my favourite- I tell you all the time!" She shook her head, contrary to what she was saying. 

"No, I said your eyes were one of the things I love about you," Wen Ning bravely stepped forward. "But we both know that's also a lie, don't we, dear? I love everything about you... My eyes see no other woman besides you." He had a little sheepish smile that never grew old. And it certainly got through his wife's tough skin. 

"A'Ning," Jiayi was ridden with sweetest and guilt. "Wait, don't pull that out. You might bleed." She put her hand on her spouse's wounded chest. 

"I'm not worried about that. True pain, is seeing the woman I love get upset." Wen Ning pinched closer to steal an embrace.