Chapter 4

WangXian.

Lan Sizhui left his bed before the sun came out to ensure that his father's home and the town were in order. GuangYu was in charge of the students and thus, he did not have to burden himself with that.

"Where are the twins?" Sizhui had waited too long to commence breakfast.

MingXia: "They were not in their rooms when I went by this morning. Gege, know how they are sometimes. They must have snuck out to hunt for ghosts in the next town. They will return sooner or later."

Sizhui: "I see. In that case, I leave it to you to inform them that they are grounded for leaving without notifying me."

"A'Yuan, aren't you being a little harsh? Your brothers are old enough to hunt on their own. Let them have a little freedom," Suyin had a soft spot for her brothers-in-law.

Sizhui:"I understand that, but that is not a reason to leave home without telling anyone."

"Oh!" Mingxia raised her hand. "What if I told you they went to visit Uncle Cheng?"

Sizhui sighed. "It's too late Mingxia, you missed the chance to lie. Uncle Cheng is in Gusu."

"Uncle Cheng? I want to see Uncle Cheng," said the youngest.

"Ge, can I take Wei Tian to Yunmeng to see Uncle Cheng when he returns? I do wish to also have a word with cousin Lian."

"Alright, I'll allow that. Since the wonder twins will not show up, we might as well eat," Sizhui had to get used to leading the litter once in a while.

After breakfast, the true work began. He was trapped in the courtroom, resolving people's problems, doomed to keep their secrets and break hearts in the process. It's hard to admit that not every good person is right when the evidence shows otherwise. It wasn't until his wife forced him to have lunch that he noticed that two seats were still not filled at the table.

Again the women of the house were quick to jump to their defence. Sizhui felt a migraine coming on as he rubbed his forehead and groaned. "Where are the twins? They better not be starting trouble somewhere."

*********

(Somewhere)

Wei Ying scrambled around his son, pressing a hand on the bleeding wound. "Quit squirming kid." His eyes were on the hole he poked in his son's gut, his hands quickly drawing spells that required a clear mind. But Xing's groans were not making it easy on Wei Ying's conscience.

Hao: "You two were told to stay at home."

Xing: "Wen Li said it was an emergency."

Hao: "What emergency? You're just making it up."

Xing: "But Uncle Hao-"

Wei Ying: "This is not the time, Hao. Lan Xing, stay still."

While they figured out how to keep Second Young Master Lan from joining his ancestors, Wen Ning walked up to her daughter. Wen Li bowed her head remorsefully, unsure of where to start with her tale. But Wen Ning knew better, he was blessed with a filial daughter who unfortunately took her mother too seriously.

Wen Ning took his girl's hand, calling out softly, "A'Li, are you alright?"

"Yes, Father. Mother was just...looking out..."

"I will talk with your mother when we return."

"You're not going to fight her, are you?" Wen Li lifted her eyes somberly.