Chapter 6

Wei Ying was feeling utterly desperate. The usual spirit barriers were proving ineffective against the relentless onslaught of creatures. He had to simultaneously protect the Gusu Lan disciples and brainstorm ways to defeat the encroaching darkness. Experimenting, he found that his golden core was more effective, seemingly affecting the creatures.

Some of Ya Mu's disciples, seeking safety, pounded on nearby doors, but no one dared to open them for fear of the creatures.

Wen Ning and Hao proved valuable, seemingly unfazed by the ambush. Wen Li fought bravely by her father's side while Xiang contributed through his musical attacks.

"It's no use. They keep multiplying," Wei Ying concluded.

Xing suggested seeking shelter in an old shed he had seen, though Xiang pointed out that they needed sea salt to keep the creatures at bay. "Any refuge is better than none at all," Xing insisted.

Frustrated, Hao suggested breaking into a house, but Wei Ying dismissed the idea. "It's no use. Most of the vendors keep their stock secured within their homes to ward off thieves," Ya Mu explained.

Wei Ying sighed and redirected everyone to the shed Xing mentioned.

The junior disciples huddled inside while Wen Ning, Hao, and Wei Ying stayed out with a few seniors to defend against the creatures.

"How long do we have?" Wei Ying asked.

"Six, maybe eight hours," Ya Mu replied grimly.

"Six hours? This is madness," Wei Ying muttered under his breath,

Just then, the creak of the shed door caught their attention. Wei Ying shot a disapproving glare at his twins. "I told you to stay inside with the others," he chided. Just then, the creak of the shed door caught their attention. Wei Ying shot a disapproving glare at his twins. "I told you to stay inside with the others," he chided.

But Xiang, undeterred, stepped forward. He explained that Xing had come up with the idea, proposing they use their spirits instead of their bodies to fight.

Wei Ying: "You sound like your granduncle. Speak plainly, kid."

Xing: "Use your golden core to erect a barrier. Xiang can help you grow the barrier and keep it under control."

"But you possess the greater ability to access Mother's core," Xiang countered, kindling a hushed debate between the brothers.

"Focus, please!" Hao interjected, exasperated by their bickering.

Wei Ying was never ready to dismiss their suggestions. There was a lot to learn about his golden core. Controlling it completely was not easily attainable.

"Just hear me out. Meditate with Xiang. Your core can shield this entire place if you let it get a better hold. Xiang is a master at invading one's mind through meditation. He's practised on me several times so I won't lose control," Xing said.

"What? Are you controlling minds now? When were you going to tell me about this?" Wei Ying did not sound happy.

"Hurry, there's no time." Xing shoved his brother out and shut the door. Wei Ying did not know what to make of his son's experiment, but Hao and Ning were not enough to stop the creatures from pouring in. Reluctantly, Wei Ying agreed to their plan.

They sat down to clear their minds. Wei Ying was surprised when Xiang held his hand. " For now I have to maintain some physical contact," Xiang explained. They closed their eyes, trying to tune their mind from the chaos.

"Do not fight it, Mother, trust me. Let me in," Xiang said.

Wei Ying obeyed, opening himself to his son. What he did not see coming was his spirit suddenly trying to leave his body. He saw Xiang's spirit floating as well. It was a bizarre experience.