Chapter 2

At daybreak, Wei Ying invited his guests to a private breakfast. 

 "I've decided to take your case. However, for better results, you have to tell me more about the evil bothering your home. Everything." he disclosed. 

Ya Mu started off with a solemn bow, thanking the Yiling Patriarch for giving them a chance. The disciple seated on his right-hand side, fearfully looked down as his Master dug deep into the matter.

 "Three new moons ago, the cry of a woman was heard throughout the village, weeping for her son who had passed. It would have been considered a natural death were it not for the strange tattoo imprinted on the boy's forehead."

Wei Ying observed keenly as the man spoke. Occasionally he glanced at Sizhui but did not miss a single reaction from their guests. 

"My cultivators and shamen traced the malignant force to an old tomb at the outskirts of the town. They brought home an urn bearing the same totem as that mark on the boy's head. We tried to subdue the evil spirit, believing we had everything under control... but more young men and children began to lose their lives. The families who fled the town were said to have met a worse fate. I have tried all that I can, Master Wei. I am afraid that our future will perish along with us if nothing is done."

"Hmm, how tragic. Accept my deepest sympathy, Master Mu." Wei Ying set the cup down and cuffed his hands in reverence. "No leader wishes to see his subjects suffer. I do have questions I want you to answer."

"I will do my best, Master Wei."

"Mn. Did any of the victims turn into a malignant spirit or fierce corpse?"

Ya Mu gave it a thought, "Well, there is none that I know turned off."

"Hmm... Did the victims have any connection at all? Say, were they from the same lineage or bloodline? Sometimes ghosts or corpses choose their victims according to the families that hurt them. In the case of marriages and change of names, they will still hunt down the offspring."

"To be honest, I did not do that analysis."

"That's okay. We can do that when I get there. My last question: Have your shamen or cultivators ever had visible contact with the spirit or listened to its demands?"

The Mulong Master seemed to have lost his words for a moment, looking in no particular direction. "Yes. That happened days after we retrieved the urn. A seven-foot giant stood in our way... And he asked for a drink."

"A drink?" Wei Ying narrowed his eyes. 

"Yes...he wanted to be served by a virgin."

"And did you find him one?"

"My daughter," Ya Mu tightened his visage. "She happened to be close by...and..."

"Master Ya Mu, that will be all for now. I've heard enough... Give me two days to prepare. I have to put my house in order before I travel," Wei Ying drew the curtains on breakfast.

"As you should, Master Wei. Thank you," Ya Mu bowed gracefully as did his followers. 

Wei Ying stepped out of the chamber, hands swinging stiffly by his side. Lan Sizhui stayed beside him, full of suspense. He could tell his mother was upset by the pout by the look on his face. 

"You're awfully quiet," Shizui said.

"Did you see Master Ya Mu's hands tremble the whole time he spoke?"

"..."

"Sizhui, that man is hiding something."

"Then...should I send him away?"