Chapter 2

In hindsight, rushing to the 'die' door and swinging it open with zero hesitation was not the best course of action. Arisu made a slightly strangled noise, and the Karube had been halfway through a "Wait!". Chota stayed silent, but his eyes told you everything you needed to know. It must have been pretty shocking, but you really really wanted to get out of here.

"C'mon!", you urged, a hint of impatience in your voice. Honestly, the whole 'spacing out' thing was getting kind of annoying, you just wanted to smack Arisu upside on the head and tell him to stop getting shocked at every little thing. But, alas, you are not that close yet.

Shibuki quickly stepped through the door, looking back at the males to give a 'what are you waiting for?' look.

They stumbled in, a solid 1:16 reading on the counter.

'The time limit for this room is one minute and fifty seconds.'

Arisu looked over at you, "how did you-"

You shrugged, "lucky." He seemed to understand, as he pursed his lips and nodded.

Shibuki seemed satisfied, she nodded her head at you as a sign of appreciation. Turns out you just saved the highschooler, and right now you didn't have the mental capacity to worry about the plot derailing.

'Live' was the next door, right? You were pretty confident, well, one way to find out.

As you stretched your arm towards the 'live' door, Arisu grabbed your arm, halting your next action.

"You... might not get lucky again."

Oh you sweet, sweet soul. Something akin to relief flooded your senses, because as confident as you were about your answer, the lingering doubt, the second guessing was human nature. Subconsciously, you've been waiting for someone to stop you.

'One minute remaining.'

But there was no time for that now, you hardened your resolve, noticing Arisu still had your wrist in a vice grip.

"Let her go. She can do as she pleases."

Shibuki's voice was cold, realistic. She wanted to survive, and she will even if you died. While watching her character, you didn't particularly like her that much, you appreciated her realism but thought she was a bit harsh. 

You think you understand her a bit better now, without prior knowledge of the games, you might not have stopped someone from risking their life just like Arisu just did. Every man for themselves.

You pulled your arm away, reaching for the doorknob. Whatever deity is up there, you hoped that you didn't mess up the scenes and the door is actually correct.

You twisted, and pushed it open. No laser. Breathing a sigh of relief, you watched as Shibuki quickly made her way across the threshold, the rest trailing after.

Chota looked at you appraisingly, "maybe any door works? They're tricking us, right?"

Shibuki gave him a flat stare, "no, these games, they're designed to kill."

"No, no, listen. Maybe they're trying to make us waste time by trying to figure out which door works, and then, uh, kill us after the timer runs out...or something..."

Karube sneered at Shibuki, "are you sure this game is designed to kill? I mean, this could all be like a massive prank."

"I saw people die."

"Special effects."

The highschooler gasped, then nodded, "I get it! We lose the game if the timer runs out and we haven't picked a door right? Then both doors work, they're just trying to make us hesitate until the timer runs out!"