Chapter 42

Notice: So uh, hello... *crickets*

No, this work is not abandoned. Yes, I did die and come back to life. Let's ignore the 2 month gap in updates and enjoy this horribly written chapter!! (i love you guys)

You watched the blimp go up in flames, flinching slightly at the explosions. Chishiya stood next to you, gazing at the scene with disinterest.

As the blimp blazed and started to fall, you briefly wondered what would happen if the blimp happened to land on you.

You made a note to watch out for crashing blimps in the future.

Feeling an odd sense of loss, you wracked your brain for the events that occurred after this. After spending weeks, maybe even months trapped in this hellhole, your memory of the plot was failing you. You knew that Chishiya would have to separate with you in order to clear the King of Diamonds game (you would rather end your life with your own hands than participate in that), and that Arisu and Usagi would show up at the Queen of Spades game.

Everything in between was a blur to you.

"Y/n! Chishiya!"

You turned around to see Ippei waving at the two of you, a smile immediately breaking out on your face at the sight of him. He looked tired, but the twinkle in his eyes and easy smile told you enough.

"Ippei!"

He stopped in front of you, "So what now?" A beat of silence passed as you mulled over his question. It was obvious that you needed to get Chishiya to the King of Diamonds, and you did plan on meeting up with Arisu and Usagi later. You glanced down at your shirt and noticed that the blood from your side had started to seep through the fabric. You had almost forgotten about your injury, too wrapped up in the adrenaline to care, now it was only a dull throb, accompanied by a sharp sting if you moved too vigorously.

The rustle of plastic pulled you out of your reverie, and you could do nothing but stare as Chishiya reached into his hoodie pocket and pulled out the cookies he was oh-so-fond of. You had no idea what type of expression you had on your face as Chishiya munched away, but upon making eye contact with you, he raised a brow and held the packet towards you in an offer.

You grabbed one and tried to stifle your bewilderment.

Giving the prison one last courtesy glance, you steeled your resolve and clapped your hands together, making Ippei jump.

"Okay, now that that's over, we have to work on clearing the other games."

You could almost see Ippei's metaphoric puppy ears fall.

Giving him an apologetic look, you addressed Chishiya, "Chishiya, you should go clear the King of Diamonds game while Ippei and I go find another—"

"No."

You blinked, slightly taken aback.

"No?..."

"No, I'm not leaving you alone."

"I won't be alone, I have Ippei."

He stopped chewing, turning his head slightly to give Ippei a once-over, before looking back at you.

"My point still stands," he deadpanned.

You blinked, feeling slightly offended at Ippei's expense, "I'm more than capable of handling myself, I don't need you chaperoning me everywhere."

"I never said you weren't capable."

"Then go clear the damn King of diamonds game."

"Nope."

You were confused. You didn't like the idea of forcing someone to do something, especially a death game, but why wasn't he following the plot? You entertained the idea of just letting him do whatever he wants, but then you realised that there are very few —possibly none— that were smart enough to win. Your desperation returned tenfold.

"Well, why not? You're like the smartest person ever, it would be a piece of cake for you!"

He cocked his head, "you think I'm smart?"

"Don't go off topic! Why don't you want to clear the game?"

He muttered something under his breath.

"Huh? What'd you say?"

He shot you glare, "I'm not leaving you alone." He then pointed at the spot of blood on your shirt, "plus, you've bled through your bandages, you need me."

You were at a loss for words, the only noise filling the silence was the aggravating crunching sounds Chishiya produced as he popped more cookies into his mouth.

Fed up, you snatched the packet away, "stop with the damn cookies!" You then gestured aggressively to Ippei, who jumped at the sudden movement, "I'm not alone, I have a whole other person with me! And I can take care of the injury myself!"

You have no idea where the confidence in your medical skills came from, maybe you just wanted to prove a point.

Chishiya glanced forlornly at the packet in your hands, and you resisted the urge to smack him.

You groaned, "I'm...not going to force you. It's a life or death game, and it's probably insensitive of me to urge you to participate. All I'm asking is that you give it some thought, if you still don't wanna then I'm sure we'll figure something out."

Satisfied with your response, you handed him back his cookies.

He had this look on his face, something you wouldn't dare call soft, but it bordered that. There was also something else, and if you didn't know any better, you would say he almost looked scared.

You knew better.

He sighed, as if the world's burden laid on his shoulders (it probably did).

"I'll do it."