Chapter 39

One second. Two. Then three.

You're breathing. Your heart still beats, rhythmic.

Each second that passes allows your chest to loosen, allows your head to stop spinning, allows your body to stop trembling.

With the heavenly click of the door, your legs gave out from under you.

You collapsed, a breathless smile on your face, relief so strong you almost started crying. Tension seeped away, replaced by gratitude and joy. You cupped your face in your palms, and relished every breath you took.

You pulled yourself together, trying to school your expression into one that was not fearing death ten seconds ago.

With shaky legs, you opened your cell and almost jumped at the sight of Chishiya and Ippei standing right outside. You noted how Chishiya's expression relaxed and Ippei let out a relieved sigh upon seeing you.

You don't know where the resolve came from, but you didn't spare them any greeting, only determination in your eyes as you spoke, "we're ending this. Help me."

Ippei seemed to genuinely believe in your competence and looked at you like you were a saviour. You don't know why he had such faith in you, but you appreciate it nonetheless.

"How?"

"We're taking the cookies."

Ippei blinked, "I'm...sorry?"

You didn't say anything and started rushing towards the pantry shelves. Upon the way, you passed the lobby and momentarily startled at the dimmed picture on the screen.

Urumi didn't make it, and the shock made you stumble a bit. Head whipping around, you saw the old lady glaring at you, Urumi's ex-cult surrounding her. She sneered upon making eye-contact with you, and you ignored her. Did she kill Urumi off? You didn't have time to continue your train of thought, urgent to get to the cookies before Enji and the business woman do.

By some stroke of luck, you found that Enji was talking to Banda in the hallway, and the business woman was preoccupied with Yaba was in the lobby. Heading to the shelves, you turned back to address Chishiya and Ippei who had followed you.

"Take the cookies."

Chishiya had an expression on his face that you couldn't quite place. Pride? Nonetheless, he walked forward, grabbing a cardboard display box of cookies and stuffing it under his hoodie. He looked deadpan while doing it, and you had to stifle laughter.

Ippei looked confused, but at your encouraging smile, he also grabbed a box.

"What now, M'lady?"

You narrowed your eyes at Chishiya's teasing tone and replied, "take them to a cell and close the door. Someone will stand guard. The other two will...keep an eye on Enji and the business lady. I'll take care of the rest."

He hummed an affirmation, before glancing at the four boxes of cookies.

"I'll make four trips. Wait for me."

With that he left, a slight bulge in his hoodie. You snatched the other two boxes of cookies off the shelves and gestured to Ippei. You decided to hide in a less public area, opting to wait behind the various snacks and drinks.

Chishiya made four rounds, and if people thought he looked suspicious, they didn't say anything. You were slightly worried as had he left the cookies unguarded. What if Enji picked up on it and already figured out a counter-measure with the business lady? The only reason you could exploit this was because you've watched the TV show, if he makes up another crazy backup plan, there is no way you would be able to pick it up.