Chapter 36

It was diamonds.

Urumi's group and Chishiya both told you your symbol was diamonds, and you were inclined to believe them over a serial killer.

It didn't make it any easier to steel your resolve.

"Diamonds."

Your voice wavered, but sure enough, the click of the door unlocking signalled that your answer was correct. You had a bone to pick with Banda.

Stepping out, you realise that due to your distraction, another girl had been manipulated by Urumi and killed off.

Banda was across the hall from you, and you stomped over. He had this amused twinkle in his eye, the only telltale sign that he noticed your existence. You jabbed a (hopefully painful) finger into his chest and gritted out, "you lied to me."

"I knew you wouldn't believe me."

You almost threw your hands up in exasperation. Sighing, you felt the energy drain from you, the furious vigour from before leaving your system as you realise you're gonna get nowhere arguing with him.

He seemed to be having the time of his life, if the growing smile on his face was anything to go by.

"Just..." You gestured at nothing, "keep an eye on your pet. And if you've already figured him out, stop waiting so long and do something."

His face had returned to that carefully blank one. "If I had figured him out, I'm the type to drag it on. What's to say I'll end this amusing massacre early?"

"If you don't do something, I will."

"Be my guest."

"You seem uneasy."

You glanced over at Chishiya, who was leaning on the wall next to you, munching on his infamous cookies.

"A lot on my mind," you helpfully supplied.

"Care to enlighten me?"

"I know who the Jack of Hearts is."

There was no visible surprise to your statement, and you have gradually started to hate the blank expression of Chishiya and Banda. You couldn't read them.

"Do tell."

"Banda's pet. The one with the emo bangs and always hunched in on himself."

Chishiya muttered something under his breath, but you couldn't hear him.

"What'd you say?"

"Nothing. Why do you think it's him? I thought you would accuse Urumi."

"Urumi is fucked up, but she's not the Jack."

"Such confidence."

You got a sudden sense of deja vu.

"I don't care if you don't believe me. I know it's him and I don't know what to do about it."

He didn't say anything, only offering you a cookie. You snatched it and popped it into your mouth. It was surprisingly good.

"Ms. Murderer! It's almost time!"

Urumi's distinct voice rang out, and you fought back a sigh. You pushed off the wall, starting to walk over when you felt a sudden warm dampness on your side. You frowned, sticking a hand under your shirt to feel your bandages. The past couple hours were so hectic that you've been neglecting your wound, opting to just ignore the sharp stings of pain whenever you moved too aggressively.

You hand gingerly touched your injury, only to find the bandage completely soaked through. Pulling back your hand, you blinked at the blood smeared all over it. Chishiya noticed.

"You've already bled through the bandage? I told you to be more careful."

"Too late now," you winced.

Carefully manoeuvring your hand behind your back, you tried to not look panicked as you approached Urumi. She grinned at you, gesturing to the seat next to her. You don't know why she was so insistent that you stay by her, but you obliged.

"Let's start. I'll go first."

As per usual, she revealed her collar to be met with a chorus of answers. Everyone took turns, but your eyes were pinned on the lady in the red shirt.

She was fidgety, eyes darting back and forth. Most of all, you noticed she was borderline glaring at Urumi, gaze distrustful. You remembered what happened to her next.

When it was her turn, everyone truthfully answered her.

"Hearts."

"Yeah, it's hearts."

You didn't miss the way she stiffened, then scoffed when she thought no one was looking. You don't know what drove you to want to save her.

Maybe it was your hero complex as Banda had said. Or maybe, you have so much knowledge and yet you can't change a damn thing in this world. Maybe it was because you felt so incompetent despite having a cheat. You didn't know, but you found yourself seeking her out after everyone had disbanded.

But the time you found her, she had a triumphant smile on her face that told you she already talked to someone else.

"Hey," you greeted, trying to look as sincere as possible when approaching her.

She immediately became guarded, and you realised being 'favoured' by Urumi and always being by her side did your image no good.

You smiled at her, and she narrowed her eyes.

"Sorry, but I overheard your conversation with—"

Her eyes widened, and she turned around, desperate to rush off.

"Wait! No, they lied to you. It's hearts."

She scoffed, face filled with disbelief. "And I'm supposed to believe you? Urumi's right hand?"

Now it was your turn to be filled with disbelief. "Urumi's right hand? As if! I don't trust a word that comes out of her mouth."

"Wow, you are a good liar."

"I'm not lying," you hissed. "I don't want anymore people to die which is why I'm going out on my way to tell you."

She sneered, "or Urumi sent you after knowing that I don't believe her. Is she that desperate to kill me off?"

You've had enough.

"Fine," you threw your hands up, "trust those strangers and get your head blown off."

You swivelled around and walked away, oblivious to the pair of eyes watching your interaction.