Chapter 31

You hadn't considered the possibility of playing Solitary Confinement.

Granted, if you had to choose between Osmosis and Solitary Confinement in terms of survival, you would've chosen Solitary Confinement. However, you were so convinced and ready to put your life on the line for Tatta, you hadn't considered not playing Osmosis.

You ran through hundreds of scenarios, all of them correlating with Osmosis.

To say you were unprepared would be an understatement, you had no idea how to start. You knew you wanted to save Ippei, but what would that take? He died because of guilt, should you be his support? Should you make it so that less people die?

On your way to this game arena, you briefly considered taking Urumi's position and creating some sort of cult-like team, the only difference being that you guys don't kill each other.

Your option was swiftly and brutally crushed when the old lady had pointed her wrinkly finger at you and accused you of being an almost-murderer.

You groaned.

The arena was now silent, the commentator's voice no longer present. Everyone threw cautious glances here and there, all of them immediately averting your eyes. It seems like you weren't going to be popular around here.

"Hey, man."

A male had approached another. "Do you mind telling me what my symbol is? And then I'll tell you yours."

You internally applauded his bravery and stupidity in trusting strangers, but you knew they would live to see another day as the latter had reached over to check the other's symbol.

"The 20 of us need to eliminate each other until we find the Jack of Hearts. What makes you think anyone is trustworthy?"

Yaba spoke, his suit visible to you from this distance despite the fact that he was half-hidden behind a corner. The male paused, hesitant, before pulling away.

Ah, well, it turns out those two may not live to see another day.

The players had started breaking off into groups, a couple of them deciding to go downstairs.

Urumi was lounging about, arms still crossed, and you wondered when she was going to make her move.

The man that stood near the middle table –the aggressive one if you remembered correctly– was looking restless. He scanned the room, and you lowered your eyes. You kept your posture carefree though, you really didn't want him coming for you. You were sure his gaze lingered on you for a second and you stiffened. He knew you were injured, but then he moved on. It seems that you weren't popular even with aggressive idiots.

You let out a small breath of relief.

He started moving, eyes predatory as he stalked towards a guy cowering near a wall. You suddenly knew why he decided to prey on him instead of you, because the coward looked endlessly more harmless than you at this moment.

A silky voice grabbed your attention.

"I have an idea."

Urumi was smiling, something small and sweet as she addressed everyone. "How about we get together and make teams to tell each other?"

She had her hands clasped, the picture of innocence. "That way, nobody can lie."

People were quick to take up the idea.

"Good idea. Um, can I join your group?"

"Me too?"

"Um, excuse me, I would like to join too."

Soon enough, a majority had joined Urumi's cult-like gathering. Your eyes flickered over to Chishiya, and despite wanting –knowing– that you can trust him, you found yourself drawn towards Urumi's group. Was it her manipulation and charm? Or was it the safety and security having a group promised?