3

Kiara's pov

Almost as soon as we got home, Colby fell back into a work routine.

We hardly saw each other, which wasn't uncommon but usually he talked to me about it.

It did stress me out after a couple of days of sleeping alone, hardly seeing him long enough to get a kiss hello or goodbye.

This had an effect on my sleep, along with Gabby waking up every couple of hours throughout the night.

Which meant that I had more time to spend with Gabby, even though that would have happened regardless if I was tired or fully energized.

"Alright, say goodnight to Auntie Kat," I said, walking into the living room where Kat and Gabby were playing with toys.

"Say bye bye," I said, scooping her up in my arm and gently using her hand to wave at Kat.

"Bye! Don't let the bed bugs bite!" Kat scrunched her hands at Gabby, causing her to giggle and hide her face in my shirt.

I'm starting to think that Kat spends more time with Gabby than any of our other friends.

I would be angry about it, considering the fact that Gabby was my daughter, but Kat mentioned that Sam has been really cautious about having kids.

She said something about how Gabby was partially to blame for that, since she was a surprise baby.

But Gabby and Katrina get along so well, and I wouldn't care to save my pride over my daughter's happiness.

"Dadda," She murmured, sounding drowsy with her head on my shoulder.

"I don't know where Daddy is," I said, rubbing her back as I slowly went up the stairs.

"Dadda," She insisted, her hand scrunching a fist on my shirt.

"I know baby," I knew that she preferred Colby over me, especially when she was tired and cranky.

Calling him or simply texting him is risky, since anyone could be listening in or tracking the call at any given moment.

"How's this sound? Whenever he comes home, I'll bring him in to say goodnight, okay?" I asked gently, walking down the hallway.

"No," She said, lifting her head up, "Dadda,"

"You want your bubba?" I asked, trying to change the subject as I shook her empty milk bottle that was in her hand.

"No," Gabby's eyebrows narrowed as I brought her into her bedroom.

"That seems to be your favorite word," I muttered, half to myself.

I made my way towards her bed, a princess themed-thing that appeared grey with only the hall light shining into the room.

I leaned into the bed, placing my knee on it to help balance the weight out.

"Here," I said as I tried to sit her in her bed.

"No!" She insisted, clinging tighter and wrapping her legs around my body as best as she could. "Dadda!"

"Gabby, please," I begged quietly, holding her head with one hand as I tried to lay her in the bed, "Be good for mommy, please,"

My words did nothing to change her actions. I never wanted to yell at her, being that she was so young and could only understand so much. But I was seriously starting to get impatient, with her and Colby.

Where the fuck is Colby? Only God knows, and God's probably watching this with a fucking thumb up his ass wondering why I suck so bad at parenting.

"Just lay down, okay? I'll get him when he comes home," Annoyance was starting to seep into my voice, but it was doing nothing but making Gabby upset.

She began crying, and I couldn't exactly tell if it was real or just a stunt, but she pulled it off well if her mother was confused by it.

"Dadda. Daddy!" Her body shook as she sobbed, and I was seriously getting fed up with this.

I know if I ever acted like that as a kid, my dad would have kicked my ass.

I also killed my dad, so actions have consequences I suppose.

"Gabby!" I said, finally able to pry her off me long enough so I'd have her attention, "I don't know where he is! Go. to sleep!"

Phase two of Gabby freaking out: she stiffens her body, waiting for me to set her down so she can start kicking and crying.

She just wouldn't stop, and it was seriously getting out of hand.

"Gabby," I said, rubbing my forehead as I tried my best to control my anger, "Please just go to fucking sleep. Lay down, please,"

"No! No! No-no!" She threw her head back and forth as she chanted, kicking her legs a few times before I grabbed her ankles to stop them.

"Please," I begged, trying to whisper as a last-ditch attempt to get her to quiet down so she could hear me. "Go to sleep Gabby. Say night-night, I'll read you a story,"

"Dadda!" She coughed out, and I took this time to rub my eyes.

I was emotionally drained, and too tired to care that I began crying myself.

It wasn't a sobbing fit like Gabby, but slow, painful tears that slid down my cheeks.

"Gabby," I groaned, "Please just go to sleep. Daddy will be home soon I promise,"

Phase three: the out-of-control toddler screams.

And, like every other nightmare, this is when Colby shows up.

Just as his toddler is screaming bloody murder in her bed next to his wife, who is also crying.

"What's going on?" He asks urgently, darting into the room.

"Daddy," Gabby bawled, making grabby hands for the human she's been crying over for at least twenty minutes.

"I'm right here," He smiled gently, sitting down in the bed as she smiled at him, wiping her soaking face.

And just like that, Gabby was happily snuggled up in her bed, watching us with droopy eyes like she was ready to fall asleep.

"Why can't you be that good for mommy?" God, I hated referring to myself as "mommy." In fact, I hated talking about myself in third person to begin with.

But, some family sacrifices have to be made.