Chapter 2

2

"Sametega Mujhko Tu Bata Zara?"

"So, what is this?" Zoya sat on the carpeted floor of the hotel room holding Zeenat's hand on the couch beside her. Her voice was unsure and timid, she didn't want to trigger her Aapi.

"I don't know" Zeenat exclaimed wistfully holding her head in her hands.

Never mind. Trigger launched

"I didn't mean to strain any relationships, I just couldn't take you being in that house for one more second. The way she had you against that door, trying to..." Zeenat shivered.

"Hey, hey, she's gone. Mr. Khan kicked her out"

"The only right damn thing he's done" Zoya couldn't even let a smile out at her Aapi's use of the word damn.

"Remember what you once said to me Aapi" Zeenat looked at her sister questioning "That the law of nature says we are doomed as humans to make errors, to make mistakes, and regretful decisions."

She looked at her Zoya for a moment, without blinking, retrospecting. They weren't talking about Tanveer.

"You really do care for him a lot" It was more of a statement than a question.

"I do"

"What do you suggest then? Do you want to forgive him?" Her motherly hand swept Zoya's bangs back from her eyes only for them to fall back at the same position.

Zoya knew times had changed, the fiasco with Akram had changed her family's decision-making tactics. And for that she was grateful.

Twisted but true

"I don't think I can imagine my life without them now...but I am also hurt...Aapi, I don't know what to do." she admitted more to herself than anyone. The past couple days had been painful but also changed her a lot. They had yelled and fought but she'd also shown him her scars, her shame, herself, and the way he had embraced her as his; moved her beyond reason. She knew forgiving him yet again would be wrong but never going back into his arms was a thought so agonising, she didn't even entertain it.

"Do you think you'd feel the same way about him three years from now? What about five? Relationships look different to people inside them. Have you asked him what his idea of marriage is? Have you had the important conversations? The realities of daily lives?" Zeenat spoke grave, in thought.

Oof! The blow of many truths.

Zoya was certain about the way she'd feel about him in three, five, ten years, heck even a lifetime. But they hadn't had the important conversations. Their relationship just was...different. He was knitted close but somehow still far-far away.

And Aapi was right­ – if they were serious about getting this somewhere ­­­­­­­­­­­­– Asad would have to come out his shell. He could no longer cruise on 'Zoya would understand'.

"I have come a long way in this lifetime with your Jeeju, and the one thing that has kept us together all these years is...trust. Now that is something you can't force. You earn it...Has he earned it Zoya? Have you earned his?"

If words were like a thunderstorm, her Aapi's questions did the job tonight. The only sound in the room was the silent air conditioning. For the first time, Zoya Faaroqui was speechless.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Her phone rang again.