Chapter 10

10

" Mere Dil Main Jagah Khuda Ki Khaali Thi "

They walked quiet for some time, but comfortable, just happy to be in each other's company and presence. Zoya glowed in her pearly attire while Asad still donned his office suit. He had worked a little later than usual today and looked tiny bit dishevelled.

"Are you okay?" she asked him probing. He thought for a second before he decided to answer truthfully.

"An employee issue. HR stuff. But I settled it before I left so all should be peaceful now."

"Sounds stressful."

"Not anymore" his hold on her hand tightened.

They walked along the bank, welcoming the waves on their bare feet. Zoya had made him remove his shoes if he was to walk with her. "What's the point otherwise?" she'd whined, and he'd given in.

She picked up a small pebble and tossed it across the water with some technique. It was her best shot. "Allah Miyan, did you see that, it touched the water twice."

Asad smiled and bent down to pick one of his own and tossed it across the water. He beat her by three. Zoya looked at him wide eyed "I have never seen someone get five Mr. Khan, that was M.A.!"

He smiled shy, trying not to appear smug and accomplished by her innocent compliment. It was funny to him how even the tiny things she approved about him, brought immense pleasure.

"Teach me" she whispered mesmerized. He grew quiet for a moment, his eyes unreadable. Then, he picked up another rock and moved to stand behind Zoya.

He noticed when her breathing hitched. He had stopped breathing altogether.

"Hold" his smooth voice ordered. Her hand betrayed to shiver as she held onto the dear pebble for life. A muscular arm moved around her shoulder to the other side and pushed her standing stance to the floor, so they were now crouching mid-air. He brought her hand - one that held the rock - inwards and angled it. Holding on to her waist with one hand to steady her, his other hand engulfed hers and threw the rock into the water with perfected technique and a slight force. It bounced off the water five times again.

A blissful Zoya looked back at him, reflecting moonlight shining in her eyes.

"That was awesome" she cheerfully declared in spite of her conscious self. Asad smiled a full smile in return, happy to be of service.

"You want to try yourself" her stance changed, unsure. He encouraged her picking another rock from the shoreside.

Something about that one simple action touched her. Reminded her of ... something.

'My future husband would encourage me to grow.'

She took it from his hand without hesitation this time and threw it to the best of her abilities. Three bounces.

"Not bad for a beginner. Well done Miss Faaroqui" He said it with so much conviction in his voice and his eyes, she had to believe him.

"Shukriya"

"I brought you something" Zoya looked on curious. Who knew anymore what kinds of stunts this man was going to pull. She had stopped guessing.

She watched him take out a small album from his coat pocket and hand it to her. She looked at him quizzically taking the photo book. "I didn't mean to cause you embarrassment looking through your private list and if it hadn't been my concern to fulfill, I would have respectfully placed it back. So, I thought it is only fair we get even." He pointed to the album "These I consider the most embarrassing childhood pictures of me. You have full reign to flip through them"