Final chapter

Final chapter

" Bana Dil Sufi "

She shoved the darkened brown flakes off her hand and hoped they wouldn't stain her clothes.

Why was this so hard?

She attempted again.

Slide, slide, slide and pick. Damn it!

The glass from her hand slipped yet again.

What does a girl have to do around here to drink some water.

"May I?" a familiar voice chimed in.

A blush creeped up on her cheeks as she saw his hand take the glass of water she was struggling with.

He lifted it up to her lips, gently. The ruckus of people in the hall came to a hush as the couple disappeared in a land of their own.

Not taking eyes off each other, Asad repeated the steps twice.

When a drop of water refused to budge from her full bottom lip, he took her dupatta and wiped it off. He was too scared to use his finger to wipe it. He wanted to use his finger to wipe it. To touch. To graze. Experience the softness of her lips under his skin.

He cleared his throat to come out of the daydream and forced himself to concentrate. "Kuch khane ke liye lau aapke liye?"

"Huh" was her dumbfounded response.

"Kuch khana chahti hain?"

"It...it's okay" she managed to say. Her lip still burned where his touch had been. Her sinful mind wandered to think what effect his hands would have on other areas. Skin to skin.

A kneeling Asad looked at her reddening cheeks curiously. She gave him a bashful smile.

"Bhaijaan, paani pae kyun ruk gaye, ye lijiye hamari Zoya bhabhi ko apne hathon se khana bhi khilaiye na" Zoya looked at him; horrified for him.

Najma and her butterfly girlfriends hadn't left him alone for a second today, hellbent on teasing mercilessly.

"Tamatar" Asad said stern, well he tried but couldn't keep the smile out of his voice. How could he? When he was so deliriously happy.

Zoya hadn't said much returning last night but her silence said it all. She had given him her hand to hold on the way home and he had taken it and placed their intertwined hands on his chest.

"Seriously, Miss Faaroqui, do you want to eat something? You haven't had anything to eat after breakfast." Asad spoke now, gazing in concern at her. She smiled at his face lovingly. To be honest, she was kinda hungry. And pleased now to know that he paid such close attention to her.

"Allah Miyan, what's wrong with you Mr. Khan? Even if I am, do you think these little devils would let us eat in peace. Mujhe to koi problem nahi hai. Aap hi sharmaate firenge." He narrowed his eyes at her playfully and she giggled. They both looked at their families dancing, laughing, stuffing mithai in each other's faces on the dance floor. His heart was molten honey today. Seeing Ammi, Najma, Aapi and Jeeju being their own self, enjoying the rasams.

"Terrace" he whispered to her as he got up and took a plate of food with him on his way. When he looked back to see if she was following, he saw her signalling to the right. He slowly followed the direction her chin was pointing to, and a dimple immediately made an appearance on his face.

She was pointing towards the pakoras.

He meshed his lips together to stop him from snickering and made his way to the fried goods section to load up on pakoras, samosas, jalebis, not leaving a single item. Dilshad saw Asad with the carb loaded plate and instinctively knew it was for her bahu. She sent a prayer for the thousandth time to her God for taking over their buri nazars.