Chapter 7

7
"Jo Khwaab Dekha, Tujkho Dikhane La Raha Hoon"

Sometimes she wanted to have a magic wardrobe that made the decisions for her. Zoya looked at the options frustrated.
How on earth was she supposed to do this when Asad gave her no context for locations. Also, she was kinda hoping to be surprised again – it had become their thing – so she refrained from texting him.
She settled on indo western casual. A pair of her favorite jeans with a pink kurti and sneakers.
For all I know, the man could take me hiking. Gotta be prepared.
Rushing to get ready, it was an hour later, when she heard a knock on the door. Zeenat and Anwar pretended to not hear it knowing the visitor on the other side.
Aapi cast an appreciative look at the sprinting Zoya. Good to know, I look good.
She took a deep breath, straightened her kurti, flicked her hair back and opened the door with a smile...
...becoming a lovesick puddle instantly.
Asad in casuals was a vision to behold. He sported sneakers too – she thanked her decision-making skills – with a pair of jeans and a black button-down tucked in.
"Flowers for me, Asad Miyan?"
Zoya looked at her Aapi squinty eyed.
"Jee...Voh actually"
Anwar's laugh cut him. He hid behind his newspaper to stifle it. Zoya could see a hint of smile on Zeenat's face and bit her lip to stop the giggle.
Thank god, Aapi was teasing six packs, not grilling him.
"Shukriya" she told him quietly as they closed the door behind them, stepping into the hallway. She took a sniff of the ruby red roses and hugged them closer.
He jogged lightly to open the door as they reached the car and Zoya ate up the chivalry.
Wined and dined by Akdu Khan. Who would have thought?!
Their destination seemed out of city, because Asad swerved the car onto the main highway. Settling in comfortably, she switched on the radio.
She had to admit, like so many things, driving also seemed effortless to him. He drove one-handed with his other hand resting on his lap.
Zoya wanted to hold it.
A tormented Rafi was signing about his lover, when Asad turned the volume down a little.
"How was your day?" he asked.
Zoya looked at him surprised. She still wasn't used to him making conversation.  "Good, it was an eventful morning" He looked at her quizzically before turning attention back to the road.
"Well, Jeeju persisted on baingan ka bhartha again, and we had some yesterday and the day before that...so Aapi went on a strike and refused to eat that for breakfast..." Zoya made a face and continued "...then Jeeju had to come through and make breakfast aka aloo paratha which are Aapi's favorite, meanwhile I sat and watched the whole ordeal...oh yes and also googled recipes for Jeeju. Our suite kitchen is a mess and I'm pretty sure the hotel staff hates us. How was yours?"
Asad was amazed she stopped to take a breath. But he wouldn't have it any other way. A happily talking Zoya was the best kind.
"A little less eventful. We had the usual breakfast, I attended a couple meetings, then came home early to come get you." His voice had a tinge of softness to it when he said the words 'come get you', and it gave her butterflies. She could swear she saw his hand move towards her.
Zoya tried to surreptitiously clean the sweat off of hers, rubbing them on her blue jeans.
Just in case.
They drove in comfortable silence for the rest of the trip occasionally talking. Sometimes about family, sometimes about nothing. Asad had insisted on leaving around five in the evening, so they caught the sunset on the way. The hypnotic orange cast in the vast sky reflected on their faces.
Zoya noticed him looking in her direction more often than not. Sometimes he would gaze at the setting sun, sometimes he glanced at her – her face, her hair blowing out the windows.
Something to her seemed familiar about the road they were on. But she kept the questions to herself.
It was almost seven when they reached the destination, dusk taking over the dark cloudy sky.
"Looks like it's going to rain" Zoya said stepping out of the car.
Asad smiled a secret smile.
Zoya frowned.
But it disappeared as they reached the main door, realization hitting her.
"Are you serious, Jahapanah?" she exclaimed.
He just nodded putting both hands behind his back, visibly a little uneasy on his feet.
"How did you even?... Or wait are we sneaking in like last time"
"Of course not" he said almost offended "I talked to the gate-keeper, the owners live abroad and we came to an agreement"
"Really? They weren't mad at you after we trashed their place with bhaang ka pakoras and you broke their door like the Kool-Aid man."
"Kool-Aid man?"
"Yeah, it's an American thing, a commercial actually where he breaks through walls but forget about that, tell me more about the agreement"
"Miss Faaroqui, why must you insist on knowing all the details?"
"Mr. Khan, in case you haven't noticed, you hate confrontations, so forgive me if I want to know more about it"
Asad half smirked at – both hands on hips reprimanding teacher – posture.
What a cutie!
"Well...it was kind of an agreement."
"Kind of? You kidnapped the owners?!"
"What...Zoya, what's wrong with you?"
"It's the way you said it, toh what should I assume" she said as a matter of fact.
His hand found its usual place on the forehead "No, I did not kidnap anyone. I just talked to the gate keeper and...made an arrangement"
Her mouth was beginning to form similarities to that of a trout. "You bribed him?"
He rushed to explain "It was much needed, his family could use it."
Aw, Akdu Ahmed Khan, even bribing with usool.
He unlocked the door without further explanation, and led her in.

                                   🌼🌼🌼

It looked same but so different. The living area had remained untouched, but it was the backyard that left her mouth agape.
This is what they call pulling out all stops.
Zoya knew Asad was trying his best, but this was beyond her imagination of his capabilities.
The round gazebo stood adorned with fairly lights twinkling all over. Walking into the dream, it was so much more beautiful than she remembered.
A single rose lay at the table awaiting her presence; white curtains attached to boundaries of the small hut afloat in the wind.
She found herself getting emotional and looked at him like she was falling in love. He flew in love.
Zoya studied her exhibit a little longer and then leaned into him ever so slightly, quietly stating "Thank you, this is MA"
He wanted to say something corny like 'no you are' but stopped himself in time "You are welcome"
"How did you even come up with this idea?"
His demeanor changed. It was serious "This was the last day before a misfortune came into our lives and made it complicated. A lot went wrong between us and I think we both know why. It wouldn't be a fresh start if not from here." He paused to take her hand into his. His fingers were tentative on hers. "Also, this was the last time in a long period I was true to myself, to you, without any walls, any pretenses. I guess, I got greedy to relive that."
She could kiss that mouth. Her gaze slid down to his lips and he followed. Clearing his throat, he stepped back removing any physical contact and led her to the table.
"I guess it wouldn't be too bad if it started to rain" Zoya added cheekily.
"No, it wouldn't" he replied with just as much suave. "Wait here" he added and left to retrieve something. Zoya took it all in and let the winds flirt with her hair; eyes closed she could almost smell the incoming rain.
A thump on the table alerted her and she opened her eyes to an Asad wrestling with plates and food containers.
"Here" she said helping "Wait...you got pakoras? Are these?"
"No, no they are not"
"Are you sure, Mr. Khan? Because you know last time..."
"Yes, I am sure because... I made them."
Zoya almost dropped the plate in her hands from the shock that consumed her. Who was this man?
"You cooked?!" Her voice rose several octaves. Asad had to flinch back.
"Why are you yelling?"
"I don't know. Why are you cooking?"
He averted his gaze and started serving.
Zoya popped one in her mouth instantly, dying of curiosity and made a pleasurable sound. "Wow, these are amazing"
He finally smiled again "Shukriya"
"Vaise kehna toh nai chahiye, kyunki you handmade these pakoras and all but agar chai mil jaati na toh..." Her speech was stalled by the kettle he held in his other hand.
"Ammi sent some for you"
He read the question in her eyes.
"She just saw me making the pakoras and offered to make tea, she doesn't know about the...bhaang adventures."
Zoya released a relieved breath. Imagine the embarrassment.
"So, what else do you have planned?" She said a while later after they finished eating; taking the warm cup of tea between her fingers.
Asad put his down and walked to a small shelf. Zoya strained her neck to look in his direction. She was half kidding but seemed like she was in for more wonders.
"Dance, Miss Faaroqui?"

                                     🌼🌼🌼
——————————————————————   {Song in title: Dheere Dheere by Shankar Mahadevan}