Chapter 8

8
"Main Aur Tum"

She heard the click of an old school radio and looked at him absolutely stunned. This time the thought voiced itself "What happened to you?"
Asad grinned shyly looking at the floor as he walked towards her.
Her heart seized.
He offered her his hand "May I?"
She couldn't speak even if she tried. The thunder rumbled as she placed her hand in his. She was sure it would pour soon.
It was a similar melody, one they had moved to before. She was standing now, walking in step with him; suddenly moving in sync with the music, she might be smiling, pretending she was not affected by his brown eyes that she'd always hoped smiled just for her.
They moved together like poetry, love letters and lyrics cascading down the center of a page. He took her by the hand to step off the platform and directly under the stars. They were far and few for the rain filled clouds took their place. Zoya looked at him tiddly, and a smile spread across her face when Asad twirled her into his arms.
He couldn't stop staring at the kohl-lined eyes. Feelings surging, everywhere their hands touched, his fingers tingled in delight.
He wasn't intoxicated like last time; but he was more than ever.
Raindrops hit the floor then, when the sky opened and started to pour. Giggling, Zoya pulled him under the roof by the hand, her mind, her heart in a dream-like state.
Their bodies acted on their own, no chains to hold them back. As the song came to an end, he drew her close to his chest and she wrapped her arms around his neck.
Her damp hair moved with the strong cold breeze and fell over her eyes. She began to withdraw her hand to brush them away, when his hand clutched onto hers. Delicately tucking a lock behind her ear, his eyes twinkled back at hers.
"Why are you doing this?" She set her hand on his shoulder again and his found a way back to her waist.
"Describe this" his voice mimicked hers; a whisper.
"This dance. The food. Yeh jagaah. Main. Aur aap."
"Aap...jaanti hain" He stopped swaying for her eyes still held a question "Because you deserve it. I know it's still hard for you to forgive me." A frown appeared on her face but she said nothing to deny "Your eyes talk more than you know. And how could you? Nor the short time permits healing, nor my past actions so small they can be shunned. All I can do is tell you aapki har khwaish mere liye kitni zaruri hai."
Zoya sat with his words for several moments before asking "Khwaish?"
Rain drenched the garden like worry did Asad. He didn't want to lie but he wasn't ready to tell her either.
"I...happened to read your list" He settled on the truth.
"What list?" She was puzzled more than ever, until, the comprehension seeped in. Excruciating discomfort clouded her senses. He noticed.
"It was an accident. I promise, I was just going to put the paper back in your cupboard but then your writing caught my attention and well... I do really believe that it was for the best. I mean after all, aapki sab wishes poori karna meri zimmedari toh hai."
Zoya didn't know why but she'd felt really sensitive since the morning. Maybe it was their conversation about broken childhoods from last night, maybe it was Asad finally showing up and telling her she matters or maybe it was the approaching wedding. But the tears sat on the brink all day and now they were drizzling out.
"Hey, I am so sorry Zoya, I didn't mean to upset you. Look I...we can just forget the wishlist if it doesn't make you feel comfortable." his hands helplessly fluttered.
"No, no it's not that" she sniffed. He handed her his handkerchief. "It's just so sweet that you saw it and tried to do this and I don't even know why I am crying right now" She dabbed tears streaking her eyes, turning inconsolable by the second.
"Saans leejiye"
"Huh"
"Ek lambi saans leejiye" She followed his instructions.
He placed both his hands on her shoulders, looking in her teary eyes. "We don't have to do anything if it makes you feel like this. I was serious when I said, I'd wait as long as you'd like. The set date means nothing. The distributed cards mean nothing. People mean nothing. And I speak for Ammi, when I say this Miss Faaroqui. The last thing I want to do is make you cry" his voice was soft and comforting; his eyes gentle, swimming with love.
She noticed.
"It's complicated, isn't it" Zoya responded in a small voice.
Asad sighed "It doesn't have to be"

🌼🌼🌼

She observed the raindrops race each other on the window. It had slowed down outside, more a quiet lullaby than a thunderstorm. Zoya could relate.
He was driving them back, inching close to the hotel. Asad had chosen to – silently and firmly – hold her hand in his throughout the drive. She didn't object.
Zoya hadn't said much on the topic of the upcoming nikaah date and he didn't how to ask her again without being terrified of the answer.
"You know, this one could be counted a little as cheating" She broke the silence not wanting to end on a gloomy note because of her imbalanced emotions spinning out of control. They did have a good time rest of the night.
"Jee?" He was relieved to watch her speak.
"Of course I am going to be impressed if you dig up my sixteen-year-old self wishes to make them true. That's cheating, Mr. Khan"
"How is that cheating when I never knew of the list until last night"
"You didn't know until last night? You did all that in less than 12 hours?"
Asad couldn't guess if saying something or being quiet was the best decision here.
"Fine, since you went to such lengths, your cheating is forgiven. I'll give you that much credit, it was a beautiful surprise"
Asad turned to watch her speak like the last hour hadn't happened. It told him how expert she was hiding her true emotions. Better than him. It hurt him just the same "If it makes you happy, then I will cheat anything."
Silence surrounded the car, only the working wipers mixed with the rain played a tune of their own.
Zoya started snickering a moment later and Asad settled on frowning. What was so funny?
"Aap par aisi baatein bilkul suit nahi karti, Jahapanah, that was so corny" her dimple appeared.
He couldn't resist the contagious laugh and joined in. It was corny and I don't care!
The car halted to a stop then, as they reached the destination and climbed to find out an aggravated looking Zeenat.
Uh oh!
"Aapi, what are you doing out here?"
Zeenat spoke directly in the direction of Asad "Taking care of Zoya is your responsibility, but it is also making sure that we know her whereabouts at all times. Why is your phone switched off?"
Zoya cut in "It died, Aapi. Mine too. It was a long car ride. Why are you being like this?"
"Well then bring a charger with you. I was worried. Dilshad aapa said you were travelling out of city. Did you not see the weather a couple hours earlier. It was pouring. Your safety is always my concern, whether or not you are married."
"Allah Miyan, relax Aapi, we are fine" Zoya spoke softly.
Zeenat calmed down but only visibly "Your hair is all damp, go dry it off before you catch a cold"
Zoya looked at Asad knowing it was a failed battle arguing with her and said a quick goodbye before heading in.
Looking at her disappearing figure into the hotel lobby, he said as soon as Zoya was out of sight and earshot. "Aapi, I apologize, we didn't wish to make you worry"
"Oh, I am always going to worry, Asad. Which is why we should talk"
His body tensed.
"I might not know the details but I am pretty certain you must be planning elaborate dates to take Zoya to. I am not saying there is anything wrong with it. I am happy that my child is happy...but...if this is something channelled out of your guilt or desperation because of societal pressures, then you need to come clean now. For your own good and hers. I speak out of care for you as well, Asad" her voice became gentle "The honeymoon phase will last you only so long. Without trust and integrity for both in a relationship..." She left it at that not wanting to complete it.
Asad saw the love and protection in Zeenat's eyes for her sister. He wasn't threatened or upset. He was somehow relieved that Zoya had been loved right.
He spoke with confidence in his voice "I have not only wronged Miss Faaroqui but in the process you and Jeeju as well, Aapi. And I am truly sorry for that. I can assure that nothing I did, am doing or would do warrants any kind of guilt. That guilt only stays for me, so I can remind myself who not to be.
The...love...for Zoya has never and will never stem out of it."
With that he signalled his leave politely and left a thoughtful Zeenat outside the hotel.

🌼🌼🌼
—————————————————————— {Song in title: Itni Si Baat Hai by Arijit Singh}

ASYA FF - "Kaise Katan Birha Ki Ratiyaan"जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें