Part Eight

'Err...' Luke stutters and Connie gives him an urging looks that makes him look more nervous.
I fold my arms, 'like who, Luke?'
Luke looks at me like he's thinking 'What, why?!' and I return an evil smirk.
'I, err, I mean... I- I- I meant to, to s- say that...umm,' Luke says.
I'm starting to enjoy messing with him, 'out with it Luke.'
'Ooooh, Luke has a cwuuush!' both Emma and Zuri chant making him blush.
We all laugh except for Connie. She stomps directly in front of him, her arms crossed in anger. 'Is it true, Lukie? You like someone?' she huffs.
'Err, yeah,' Luke answers that sounds a little like a question.
Without warning, Connie screams to the top of her lungs making us all jump.
She lasts for about fifteen seconds.
'Wow, it's creepy how her lungs can take that,' Zuri whispers to me and I nod.
'Woah, please! Inside voices,' Jessie says, but no one seems to care about her point.
'Never talk to me again!' Connie shouts and storms into the elevator.
'Ok. That's a promise I can make for eternity,' Luke jokes but we all take it seriously and as a chance to finally get Connie of our backs, even though I've only known her for half a day. When the elevator door closes, everyone except for me sighs in relief.
Luke flops on the couch, 'finally! With Connie gone, I am free.'
'Don't change the subject, Luke,' I just had to put in. 'You like someone.'
'Ooooh, Luke has a cwuuush!' both Emma and Zuri chant again, making Luke blush once more and look down at his fingers like they were the most interesting thing in the world.
'As I can recall, you did admit it yourself,' Ravi says and the rest of us nod in agreement.
'Hey now guys! Leave Luke alone. It's not his fault that he likes someone,' Jessie says but she still wears a smirk.
'Come on Luke. You can even tell us who she is!' I say grinning.
Luke gets up from the couch and stares right into my eyes for a while before walking away up the stairs.
I wonder what that was about...
'Was that the first time Luke avoided a question when it came to girls?' Zuri asks us.
I shrug my shoulders not knowing what that could mean.
'Yeah...something's going on with him,' Emma wonders out aloud.
'Like what?' I ask her and everyone just shrugs.
Jessie turns to me, 'why don't you find out for us, Jaz? He seems to like you more.'
'What do you mean "like me more"?' I ask.
'You're the kind of person Luke can turn to whenever something's up. The rest of us use it as an advantage to make fun of him. Well..err..obviously, n- not, not me of course. Wh- why would I do that. I'm supposed to be his nanny. He can turn to me for anything,' Jessie says. 'But come straight back to us when you do find out, yeah?'
I nod and go up the stairs.
I take a small intake of breath and breathe out slowly before walking in.
He's sitting on the edge of his bed, his back turned against me. I managed to have opened the door without making a sound as he didn't even turn around.
I silently close the door and lean against the door, 'hi,' I say quietly. He whips around and gives me a shy smile.
'Hey,' he says.
I walk and sit next to him on the edge of his bed, 'sorry about before. I was just messing with you.'
He shakes his head, 'no no. Don't apologise. It's ME whose supposed to be the one that's messing with people.'
I smirk.
He turns to face me, 'shall we?'
I frown, 'shall we what?'
'You know, team up and play pranks around the house. it's kind of my thing.'
I nod approvingly, 'yeah sure. That's sounds fun.' A few seconds pass when I really want to make this question, 'so come on. We know there's a special girl you like, right? So why not tell me? I won't say a word to the others.'
He slowly turns his head towards me and looks at me right in the eyes, just like he did earlier, and then shakes his head, smiling in a way that he's lost in his thoughts.
I shrug, 'ok I won't keep asking you if you don't want to say. So you wanna come downstairs now? I'm pretty sure Connie's gone for good.'
He chuckles, which means I'm heading the right way with this slightly awkward conversation. Notice I said slightly.
It takes him a bit of a while to answer, 'yeah, I'll come in a bit. You'll still be here, right?'
I check my wrist watch and read that it says half past six. 'Well, I really should be getting home. Mom will get driven nuts when she realises that I'm not home on time.'
'Ok,' he says, his voice a little croaky. 'Ermm, I'll see you tomorrow, yeah? In school?'
'Of course,' I finish and stand up, indicating that I'm leaving right now.
'I'll walk you out,' he says.
'But I thought that you wanted some alone time.'
'Well, it's kinda rude that I don't see you out,' he jokes, which does make me smile, and I follow him out of the room.
'Bye Jaz!' everyone calls and wave goodbye as the elevator closes. I punch the number that leads to the floor and feel myself going downwards.