Part Twelve

Once we were safely out of the changing rooms and headed for our lockers to go home, Rebecca starts telling me what it was she was going to say.
"Ok, so what was it you were going to tell me?" I ask as we walk.
"Ok well...you know how I said about Chase?"
"Yeah?" I say slowly.
"You won't believe it! It's you!"
"It's me what?"
"You're the one!"
"Huh?" I say, completely confused.
"You're the one who he likes," she says.
"The guy doesn't even know me," I say.
"Yeah well, you were the one who he was staring at throughout your game today," she raises an eyebrow.
"That doesn't mean anything. Let's just leave it at that, shall we?" I say, ending the conversation and turning the corner to where our lockers are.

As we head out the school doors, Rebecca starts jumping up and grabbing my arm, smiling widely whilst I was just thinking, what the hell is wrong with this woman? I look forward and see Chase buy the gates talking to one of his mates.
Just to make sure I don't get seen, I grab Rebecca's arm and walk her forward, hiding behind her curly hair (not like I believe Rebecca's stupid theory, I'm just hiding from him just because...I want to)
Luckily, to my relief, we get out of the school gates without getting caught, although it was close because Rebecca was eyeing him strangely that made him a little freaked out.
"Why would you do that for?" Rebecca exclaims when we are out of earshot.
"Because I didn't want him seeing me, duh," I state.
"But I wanted to see if it was true."
"If what was true?"
"If he actually does like you or not. I know what I saw, he was full on staring at you during your game!"
I roll my eyes, "whatever, I gotta get home now," I say and mumble the next part, "before Luke sees me like this, all sweaty."
Rebecca wasn't even listening to that last part, just keeping on turning around to see Chase even though he wasn't even looking this way.

•••

When I finally arrive home, take a shower and walk Jasper around the streets, I finally flop down on the couch and watch some blockbuster movie. Dad wasn't home at the moment, in his new job, and their boss let Mom take a couple of weeks off so that she can find me a nanny that can look after me for six months while my parents are away at work.
"Mom, I don't need a nanny. I can look after myself. I'm nearly fifteen," I say.
"For the last time, Jasmine, you are getting a nanny. I can't leave you alone in the house for six months. They'll put you in care if they find out," she calls from the kitchen and I groan.

•••

The next day, early on. Tuesday morning, I get out of bed and get ready for school. When I come downstairs, I see Rebecca in my kitchen, sitting and eating some flakes at the breakfast table.
"Rebecca?" I ask stifling a yawn.
"Good morning, Jaz!" she exclaims cheerily. I never even knew that some people had energy at half seven in the morning. "Hungry?"
"Mmm hmmm," I nod and take the seat beside her, not even bothering to ask what's she's doing in my house.

We left the house at quarter past eight, when I had gained my energy back and arrived at school at around half past. We had ten minutes until it was time for registration, so we decided to meet up in the cafeteria in a couple of minutes after we went to our own individual lockers.
After Rebecca made her way to her own lockers, I went to mine.
I open my locker and put all my books in there. When I close it I almost scream. Chase pops out from behind the door to my locker as I close it.
"Um..." I barely whisper. "Can I help you?"
"Hey Jasmine," he says as I look up at him slightly.
"Hi?" I say as a question wondering how he knows my name.
"I saw you play yesterday," he says as he leans on the locker next to mine, raising an eyebrow seductively. I don't think I've ever used that word before in my entire life.
"Yeah, I know," I say casually. Please don't let it be what I think might happen.
"I just wanted to say a huge well done for being so good," he smirks slightly.
"Err...thanks?"
He clenches his jaw revealing a remarkably attractive jawline and combs his hair with one hand. No wonder the girls are all over him.
The bell goes, signalling registration. Have we been standing her for that long?
"Oh, well, I'll see you around yeah?" he asks, stroking-? my forearm that takes me completely by surprise and smiling, showing his dimple on his left cheek. I have a thing for dimples.
I blush as he winks at me and turns around and so I gather my things and rush straight to my class.

•••

"Jaz! Where were you in the morning?" Rebecca half whispers half shouts whilst we were completing our work in history. "We were supposed to meet each other in the cafeteria. I looked everywhere for you."
"I'm sorry," I whisper a little too loudly. "What happened was-"
"Jasmine! Rebecca!" our teacher yells at us and we immediately shut up. Once she drives her eyes away from us, I whisper back to Rebecca. "I'll tell you after class."

"Ok, spill," she folds her arms once we step out of the classroom.
"You know how you told me about Chase?"
"OMG, what happened?" she says, not surprising me that she knew what this was gonna be about.
"Well I was at my locker and I think he...flirted with me," I say perplexed.
She brings her hand to her mouth to hide her gaping face. "So it's true!" she gasps and I just shrug.
"Remind me to avoid him."
"Why would you ever do that?" Rebecca almost shouts. "He's the biggest hottie in our grade, you can't just avoid him!" she exaggerates the word 'avoid'. "You let him do what he wants- in this case, flirt- with you and then you start dating and going out."
"Yeah, well..." I trail off, not really knowing what else to say.
Before Rebecca says anything else, Luke comes walking to us which brightens up my mood. I haven't even seen him today. "Hey, ladies!"
"Hey, Luke," I say.
"Hey but bye. I need to...go somewhere...and do...something...right now...very important," Rebecca says and she escapes.
I turn back to Luke.
"Can I just say WOOOAAAHHH to you at yesterday's game," Luke says grinning which is the only time I actually smile at someone praising me.
"Thanks," I reply.
"Mr Vega wants us to go to his office after school together. Some basketball team thing, I don't know."
"Sure, I'll meet you there?"
"Yeah, bye."
I wave bye and we walk off in two opposite directions.

a/n: I just wanted this chapter to be done, if I'm honest with you. I'm sorry that this is short. I'm being extremely lazy today: I'm in bed.