Part Fifteen

"Jasmine Clarke, wake up!" Miss Yates yells at me as I'm more intrigued with the boys' game that's going on over on the other half of the gym.
I snap my head back to see Miss Yates and a few other girls looking at me. "Oh, sorry," I mange to mumble out my mouth.
"What did I just say?" she demands, her eyes growing wide.
"Umm...something about...err...the importance of teamwork?"
She shakes her head at me, "next time, pay attention, alright?"
I nod, hands in my pocket, not really paying that much attention to what she has to say next to the rest of the group. Maybe some kind of pep talk? I can't believe I have to put up with this teacher every day after school for this whole week!
After some more talk about tactics and stuff, we finally start a game for the girls where we are again split into groups of five and made to score at least four points, so two basket shots, each, and then were apparently done for the day. I kind of just wanna watch the boys play to, you know, see how...good they are. But I can't do that when I'm constantly nagged at by this psycho teacher who seems to have eyes like an owl, always being watched at everything I do.

When the game is finally over I quickly put on some deodorant and a couple sprays of perfume lent by another friend in the changing rooms, I wait for Luke, who gladly drops me off home.

•••

"So did you ask them if you could stay with them for a couple of weeks?"
I freeze. "Ahh, no Mom, I forgot," I say honestly. I actually did forget about it.
Mom just sighs at me, "fine, just remember tomorrow okay? If not, I'll have to ask them myself." I nod as a reply and go to the lounge to play some video games after taking a long shower.

The next day, after the basketball club, Luke and I head over to his apartment.
"A while ago, didn't you say your parents were looking for a nanny for you?" He asks, as we turn a corner on the streets.
"Yep. Still nothing," I reply.
"You know, you can stay with us. We've got plenty of room."
I turn to him and smile. "Thanks Luke. That'll actually be a great idea. Think about how much fun we'll have."
"I know, right? It'll be so awesome," he exclaims as we go up in the elevator.

•••

I ask Jessie as soon as I see her. She agrees the moment the sentence escapes from my mouth. "Yeah! Of course you can. You can start today if you like."
"Sure, Jessie. I'll ask my parents when I get home today."
"Or I can give your parents a call and they could drop some of your stuff here? I know it sounds a little too forward and quick but, whatever you want, really."
"Actually that's an even better idea."

A couple of hours later and after some more waiting, the elevator dings and I see Tony carrying a couple of my suitcases and takes them upstairs to the spare bedroom next to Emma's.

•••

"You guys wanna watch a movie?" Jessie asks and we all nod in agreement.
"Not me, I'll be in my room watching 'Evil Children of the World Plan World Domination' just to make me hate children even more then I already do," Bertram says as he walks up the stairs and Luke rolls his eyes.
"He'll be like that this whole two weeks that you're staying here. Apparently, having one more 'disgusting' child in the place would be the death of him," he says to me and I just laugh.
"Well, we'll have to be causing a lot of trouble just to piss him off," I whisper to him and he nods.
"Finally, someone who actually is bothered to play some pranks with me. You know I'd ask Ravi but he's pathetic at this sort of thing and Zuri gives up halfway through.  And don't even get me started on Emma."

During the movie, we hear a strange clattering upstairs. We all look at Jessie. She just shakes her head. "It's probably Bedtram. You know how he is. Luke probably left his skateboard on the floor."
"Yeah but we should be able to hear him screaming, right?" Zuri asks.
"Yeah you might be right.  And at this moment he would be storming downstairs and yelling at us."

At this moment, we didn't really care about the Spiderman movie that was going in in front of our eyes.

Emma speaks up. "Guys, I've just realised. Isn't it my room above the screening room? What would Bertram be doing in there?"

Just then, Bertram flips open the curtains, standing there in his zebra pyjamas, holding a half empty bag of popcorn.
"Bertram?" Jessie says dumbfoundedly, lowering the volume of the movie that we've all stopped watching. "What are you doing here? I though you were watching your movie about how kids are evil."
"I was when I heard a loud sound coming from Emma's room. I went in there to check but it all looked normal. And really pink," he replies. "I thought one of you guys were in there making a lot of noise."
"Well no, we've been here the whole time."
"Guys, instead of chatting, how about we actually go up there and check what's going on?" I put in and we all get up from our seats, following Jessie out of the screening room, whilst Bertram plops down onto one of the chairs and switches the Spiderman movie to something else once we all leave.

Emma's room seems pretty normal; nothing out of place.
"Maybe it was the wind..." Jessie begins and we all look at her, an eyebrow raised. "Yeah you're right, wind cannot make clattering noises. Forget I even said."

I walk up to her window and peer down into the city. I look at the small latch on her window and realise that it's unlocked. "Emma, when was the last time you locked your window?" I ask her.
"A few hours ago, before we decided to watch the movie. Why?"
"Well, this window here is clearly unlocked. Someone's been in your room.  And....I think I know who."