Chapter 3 - Kill Or Be Killed

The moment was close. The air was tight. And the soldiers were grouped. Malenia was finishing sharpening her 8.85 feet long katana. A true behemoth of a weapon, it was going to be put to the test of the battlefield, and with her training with the waterfowl dancer, she was certain that her new skills will allow her to obtain victory today in the battle.

Close to her tent, was (Y/N), Alessia, Luirlan and every soldier in the company, being instructed by Captain Kristoff and Lieutenant Finlay.

Captain Kristoff: Alright, everybody! In just a few minutes we're gonna be sent to the battlefield! We're waiting for General Radahn's orders, until then, be prepared!

The soldiers murmured softly amongst themselves, mostly about what would they encounter.

Lieutenant Finlay: It seems that the enemy is preparing an attack as well. So it's gonna be a bloodbath, rest assured this people are not to be taken lightly! So it's in your best judgement to not show any mercy to your enemy, for them will not show it to you!

This was unexpected for (Y/N). He thought that they would run towards the enemy's position while dodging projectiles. This change of events, make his mind at ease. If he were to die in combat, it would be because his adversary was better than him, not because a ballista bolt decided to impale him.

Suddenly, Lieutenant Finlay started walking towards him, after the orders were said. She was walking straight to him, and even if he couldn't see her face because of the helmet, (Y/N) knew this was serious.

Lieutenant Finlay: Sergeant, Corporal, Private. Come with me.

Alessia, Luirlan and (Y/N) watched her walk away, after suddenly telling them to follow her. They looked at each other with no clue whatsoever of what this was about.

Lieutenant Finlay: Are you bunch of idiots deaf? Come now, it's an order.

The group quickly started following her. They walked towards a big tent close by. When they were at the entrance, Lieutenant Finlay stopped, and looked at them, signaling to stand by. Then she proceeded to enter the tent. A few words were heard, but none of them understood thanks to noise around them. Suddenly they heard the voice of a man, telling them to come in.

Inside they found, Lieutenant Finlay holding her helmet in her hand. General Radahn looking over some maps and books, most likely repassing the plans of today. And woman, sitting in a mattress with a hand against her forehead, in what seemed a headache.

General Radahn: Soldiers. You have a different assignment today. Captain Kristoff and Lieutenant Finlay are going to be leading the charge against the enemy, with our soldiers following their lead. However, if we succeed in taking out the enemy in the field. Their ballistas are gonna torn all our soldiers apart. So you three will go with Commander Malenia, to destroy them. Some of my Redmane knights are going to be with you as well. But you are a small group. Captain Kristoff has talked highly about you two, and I see the potential in your skills Private.

The group was stunned by the orders, but remained silent. (Y/N) was wondering how General Radahn, seemed to know his existence, but remained quiet, waiting to hear the next orders.

General Radahn: I want to clarify. This isn't an assignment to be taken lightly. Hundreds of lives depend upon your success. With that being said. Commander Malenia, will lead you in the battle. Follow her every order and you shall succeed. Dismissed.

With that Commander Malenia stood up and watched the three soldiers. She first looked at Luirlan. She saw him as a well versed warrior, but was worried about his performance at improvisation. Then she looked at Alessia. She watched her corporal expressions, and noticed the lack of respect towards her brother's presence. She was not in attention and was leaning on her broadsword. At last, she looked at (Y/N), and noticed something that made her eyes go wide for a split of a second. He was the swordsman she always watched practicing in his courtyard.