Chapter 5 - Get Up!

The sound of soldiers screaming in agony, the smell of burning corpses, the sound of swords and shields clashing. Stomps, stabs, slashes, parries, yells, crashes and explosions. The feeling of being in a meaningless crusade. A meaningless duty. A meaningless war.

(Y/N) was fighting some soldiers of the Land Of Reeds. The battlefield was covered in blood, and the end of this battle was not in sight. He stabbed a soldier in the chest, then yanked his katana from the body of the now deceased soldier, and proceeded to slash three times in quick succession at another soldier. (Y/N) was tired, his body was aching for a break, but he couldn't afford such pleasure. He had to keep fighting. He had to keep killing.

He then confronted a very big and armoured soldier. Their armour look torn, worn-out, exhausted. They looked like a menacing figure, with a collosal sword resting on their shoulder.
Both soldiers advanced towards each other, one with a katana covered in blood, the other with a sword so big it could easily crush his user. And their duel started. Strikes and sweeps occured, blood was drawn, but either of them stopped fighting. It was a war of attrition. And before he knew it, (Y/N) was bleeding on the ground, his katana out of arms reach, and his executioner was standing still. Their silence spoke, and (Y/N) knew this was the end. Because there's no winners in war. There's no victor. There's just death and misery. Just unjustified killings. Just suffering. And then (Y/N)'s executioner delivered the fatal blow.

-------------------- A Few Hours Earlier --------------------

(Y/N) was sparing with commander Malenia. They were sweating profusely but neither of them seemed to yield. (Y/N) was panting and was looking at his commander, she was breathing heavily. Her eyes glowing beneath that winged golden helmet with an emotion. Excitement. She was eager to keep fighting with him. Even if she knew that she could defeat him, she still could see the hidden potential underneath that armour he always used, the armour around his soul.

Suddenly, (Y/N) started sprinting towards commander Malenia's position, and made a jump while his katana was in his hand. She saw that his jump was higher than she anticipated and then (Y/N) split in half an enemy soldier in the air.

(Y/N) landed on the ground, and behind him fell the sliced body of the dead soldier. He looked at Malenia with a smile, but worried eyes. He saw how the soldier jumped behind the commander, ready to deliver a killing blow.

Then the alarms started blasting. Soldiers were seen running towards the battlefield, commanding officers yelling orders. The chaos ensued the trenches and (Y/N) and Malenia were caught in the middle of it.

(Y/N): Commander what do we do?

Commander Malenia looked at him, her eyes hidden behind the metal visor of her helmet.

Commander Malenia: We need to find the rest of the Winged Swords, and then we go and repel this attack. We cannot die here.

(Y/N) looked at her with a smile and just said.

(Y/N): We won't.

And immediately he started looking for his friends, the group of misfits and reckless behaviour that was so well known for their battlefield proficiency.

He has to kill a few enemy soldiers that had infiltrated the trenches. The narrow space of the trenches made maneuvering through it very challenging but he nevertheless pushed forward.

Malenia meanwhile was following (Y/N) trail of dead bodies. His ability to make painless and quick deaths meant that the soldiers whom he had killed all suffered clean cuts, that delivered a swift death.