Eight

Neymar groaned and rubbed his face

Neymar groaned and rubbed his face. He couldn't believe that they had lost on penalties. He had played his best, and he knew that everyone else had as well. He ran his fingers through his hair as he sat down on the bus. His phone was blowing up with his family texting him.

Bonjour

Bonjour. So sorry about the game. You played really well! We were cheering you on! Are you coming straight back to Paris? Élodie keeps asking when she gets to see you.

Ola. Thanks. Super bummed out. Yes I'm heading back to Paris tomorrow night. I can come see her the next morning?

Sure! I have class in the morning and then a matinee and evening show. My parents were going to babysit, but I'm sure they'd be fine having a day off.

I can absolutely do that. What time will you leave for class?

My call time is 10:30 am.

I can do that. What time does your evening show end?

It starts at 19:30 and is about 3.5 hours so close to 23:00.

Élodie can just stay the night with me.

Okay. If you want some extra sleep, my parents can watch her in the morning.

Oh no it's fine. I'll come get her around 10 so you can get to the theatre.

D'accord. Merci—Élodie is excited to see you!

Can't wait to see her too!

Keep your head up, Neymar. You did Brazil proud today.

Obrigado, Anaïs. That means a lot to me.