Nine

Neymar yawned as he got out of his car

Neymar yawned as he got out of his car. He pulled a jacket on and shivered. It was much colder back in Paris than it had been in Qatar. He blew into his hands as he jogged over to the doors. He opened it up and pressed on the button to take him up to her condo.

Neymar pulled his phone out and scrolled around as the elevator went up. It dinged before the doors opened. Neymar yawned again and walked out to Anaïs' door. He knocked a few times and heard was surprised to not hear Bear barking. He stuffed his hands in his pockets as he waited for the door to open.

"Bon matin," Anaïs smiled when she opened the door.

"Bom dia," he kissed her cheek quickly before walking in, "how are you?"

"I'm good thanks. You? Did you get some sleep?"

"Yeah I slept a little," he bobbed his head, "where is Élo?"

"She's in my room watching TV with Bear. I'm so sorry to ask, but Élodie wants to know if you want to go to my show this afternoon and then lunch after?"

"Oh, uhm-"

"No pressure. I understand if you don't want to. You're welcome to come to lunch with a couple of other dancers, but I don't want you to feel obligated."

"No no, it's okay. If you can get tickets, then I'm fine going to the show. I like watching you dance. Are you doing that role you posted about?"

"Yes, Gamzatti," she smiled, "it's a dream role really."

"Count me and Élodie in."

"Great. I'll have the tickets texted to you."

"You can do that? I don't need to go to the box office?"

"Nope. I'll also text you a pass to go in through the back."

"Obrigado," he went to go find Élodie.

"You're welcome, uhm. Can we talk just us for a minute?" Anaïs bit her lip.

Neymar nodded slowly, "claro."

"I, uhm, I wanted to apologise. It wasn't fair to you how I walked out on you with Élodie."

"T-thank you," he stuttered, not expecting that.

"You didn't do anything wrong. It's trite and bland, but it really was me. I just," she sighed, "I couldn't handle not being able to dance, and then there was you. Peak of your career. I resented that a lot. It got in my head that I wasn't good enough—for you or for my career. And it broke me down."

"Anaïs," he murmured and placed a hand on her cheek, "no. You are more than enough."

She let out a little laugh, "I'm sure you probably hate me."

"I could never hate you," he cupped her cheeks in his hands, "I'm always going to love you."

"Neym-"

Whatever Anaïs was going to say, was cut off by a knock at the door. Neymar had to stop himself from cussing whoever interrupted their moment. Anaïs cleared her throat and took a step back out of his hands.

"Désolé. That's probably Mathias."

"Oh."

"Un moment, s'il vous plaît!" She called.

"Uhm," Neymar rubbed the back of his neck.

"I need to tell you, that I've started seeing Mathias. You deserve to hear it from me, and not a tabloid or something. I know they still follow me since I'm your ex and the mother of your daughter," she said.

"Obrigado for telling me. Are you happy?"

"Oui," Anaïs' answer sent daggers through is heart.

"Then I'm happy for you. How long?"

"Just over a month, but I've known Mathias since I joined the main company. I want you to know that I absolutely did not cheat on you with Mathias in any way shape or form. We've been friends for years, but José just paired us together in August."

"Oh, okay," Neymar nodded slowly, "thank you for telling me."

"Of course. I wanted you to hear it from me."

"I appreciate that."

Anaïs nodded and walked over to the door. Neymar turned his back to the door and walked through the condo. He went to the biggest room and leaned in the doorway. He saw that Élodie was cuddling with Bear while watching tv.

"Bom dia, princesa," he murmured.

"Papai!" Élodie smiled.

She scrambled up and hurried off the bed. She jumped down and ran over to him. Bear was hot on her heels. Neymar leaned down and picked her up. She threw her little arms around his neck. Neymar held her close and kissed her cheek.

"I missed you!"

"I missed you too, Élo," he smiled.

"Mathias and I are going to the theatre now. You're welcome to stay and hang out here if you'd like," Anaïs' voice came from just behind him, "the door will automatically lock behind you once you leave."

"Oh no. It's okay. Marcela is making breakfast back at my place. And I know Rafa, Camila, and my mãe want to see Élodie."

"Yay!" Élodie smiled.

"Okay. I just texted you the tickets. We'll see you after the show."

"Great. Break a leg, Anaïs," he gave her a quick hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"Merci. Au voir," Anaïs kissed Élodie's cheek.

"Au voir! Bonne chances maman and Mathias."

"Merci, Élodie," Mathais wrapped an arm around Anaïs' waist.

"Papai, I need to change."

"Okay. We'll hang back a little bit, if that's okay?" Neymar looked at Anaïs.

"Absolutely," she nodded.

"Okay. Adeus."

"Au revoir," she waved and walked towards the door with Mathias.

Neymar set Élodie down. She ran back into her room with Bear and shut the door. He watched as Mathias opened the door for Anaïs. She smiled and walked out. Mathias followed closely on her heels.

This certainly wasn't how Neymar imagined his life, but this is was it was.

Fin.