VI.

Chaos ensued at the headquarters of the Northern Army. At exactly two o'clock in the afternoon, Major ran into the office of the General with a piece of paper in his hand and a frightened look on his face. Hanging on the door and gasping for breath, he forgot to salute. He swallowed his saliva and stuttered. "G- General! News has arrived from the border!"

In an instant, the general forgot about the soldier's audacity and rose sharply until the chair on wheels crashed into the wall behind him. "Put it here!" The soldier let go of the door and jumped to the general's table. He bowed to the general and, handed over the paper to the commander and fixed his eyes on the carpet. He stood in front of an agitated general, trying to breathe as calmly as possible. He was expecting further orders. The general went through the message from the technical unit over and over again. The rise of offshore renewable energy... expanded blue box.... the use of offshore renewable energy with steep values... power source unknown... occurrence of object unknown... The general threw the paper on the table and grumbled, "Let them search all that fucking forest!"

"Bu-but, General, soldiers are banned from entering the forest." major beeped timidly.

The general leaned against the table, which bent under his weight. He glared at the young major, who avoided the general's gaze and preferred to stare at the carpet. "I don' give a fuck that some eco-fuckers said that soldiers are not allowed to go there. I said they should search the whole forest. That's an order!" he shouted the last sentence, slamming his fist on the table.

The major shuddered at the general's sonorous and angry voice. Trembling, he looked up and saluted. "Yes, sir!"

"Leave!" barked the general, to which the major hurriedly walked away from his office. The general rolled onto a chair and took in his hand the paper he had thrown on the table a moment ago. "The use of offshore renewable energy with steep values... power source unknown... Who the fuck is using that flower?!" he muttered under his nose, crouching down the paper he was holding in his hand. He had to find that flower, whatever it meant. He thought about the latest information. He should pass them on to the Minister of Defense... or not? The old fool wouldn't know what to do with it anyway. All the orders he ever gave were just a copy of what the general decided long before the minister. With a sigh, he fished in his uniform pocket and took out a pack of cigarettes. He put one in his mouth and returned the rest to his pocket. He lit a cigarette and put his feet on the table. He smoked and thought. "I'll get that flower. If I don't have it, no one will."

"Increase in values? Where?!"

"At the border, General." The colonel, who had just phoned a reconnaissance technician, beeped. The latter reported to him an increase in blue energy values. The colonel immediately reported to the general.

The general rubbed his chin and took a few steps around the room. "Do northerners know about this?"

The colonel looked at the notes he had written from the interview. "Probably yes, sir. Colonel Nam of the technical reconnaissance unit reported that the Northerners had their own technician in the village."

The general warmed up unkindly and turned to the window. He stood there for a while, with his back to the colonel, who came to report new events to him. What the hell to do with it? The Northerners probably knew about this even before they did. "Do we know what the Northerners are up to?"

"Um, no, sir."

"And what do you think they are going to do?" muttered the general, still facing the window.

The colonel was confused. He snorted and coughed in fright. "I beg your pardon, sir?"

The general sighed and turned to face the colonel. "What would you do if you got information about offshore renewable energy, and you knew that another country wants the same energy... another army?"

"Well," the colonel thought, "so we don't know where the source of that energy is. And the Northerners probably didn't either, if they knew, they would take it and they wouldn't be in the village anymore. So... I would probably send explorers to the forest to find the source."

The general listened and nodded. "You're right about that. You are thinking correctly. But you have forgotten one essential thing." The general sat back down at the table and lit a cigarette. "We are in a Demilitarized zone. Soldiers are not allowed to enter the forest."

The colonel frowned. "With all due respect, sir, do you feel that these international treaties have ever dissuaded northerners from their goals?"

The general smiled and blew out a cloud of smoke. "And again, you're right, Colonel Go. You are smart, I guess you know what the next orders will be."

The colonel nodded. "Yes, sir. We'll send explorers to the forest to find the source rather than the north."

"That's right, Colonel." The general smiled at the colonel and indicated the end of the debate. The colonel saluted and left the general's office. The general of the southern army smoked crouched down at the table and smiled to himself. "Blue flower back in action.... northerners... hope you're still on duty, Choi Minseok."