VIII.

Kihyun in the room nervously watched the running time. He was annoyed that Hyungwon had still not returned. He had been in that house for far too long. He promised him that he would return right away, that he would just take his things. So where is he then?! Kihyun got out of bed and rushed through the corridors of the orphanage all the way to Hyungwon's house. His gait was still not perfect, after all, he had been sitting in a wheelchair since he was seven years old, but he was still in a hurry. His legs hurt much more than when he started walking. At that time, at least, he was guided by Changkyun, who ordered him to rest whenever he saw at least a minimal hint of fatigue in Kihyun. But now Changkyun was not here, and Kihyun did not even take crutches in that hurry. He languished alone through the dark corridors until he reached a courtyard poorly enlightened by the moon. He was breathing heavily. Due to his disability, he was not trained like the rest of the gang. Once he stopped to exhale. His lungs were burning, and black spots flashed before his eyes. But he had to get to Hyungwon. What if he needs his help? Although Kihyun did not know how he could help a friend in such a state, especially if, for example, he was attacked by his own father, but he did not want to stay in the room while Hyungwon's life is at stake. He took a deep breath and stepped forward. He tried to walk upright, transferring the weight of the body from one leg to the other. He looked like a drunkard rushing home, but he didn't care.

Kihyun ran through the street that separated the orphanage's land from Hyungwon's father's land and rushed into a dark courtyard through a broken gate. He saw almost nothing. Hyungwon's house was hidden in the shadow of his neighbors' huge house, so even the moonlight could not illuminate the darkness hiding in the desolate yard of the abusive Mr. Chae. Kihyun knew well how appalling this yard looks in daylight, that pieces of scrap and garbage are rolling everywhere here. Therefore, he had to be doubly careful. If, in this darkness, he stumbled into something or even stepped on something, it could end very badly. Right in front of him, Kihyun saw an object of striking color. It was very difficult to determine in the dark, but Kihyun guessed it would be Hyungwon's father's green scooter. He carefully avoided it and continued the darkness along the path that apparently led to the door of the house. The house was, like the yard, dark and cold. It seemed as if no one even lived there, but Kihyun guessed that if Chae met Hyungwon and beat him, he was probably already dribbling somewhere and choking on his own vomit. Kihyun carefully opened the door, which for some reason was not locked. On the other hand, why would Chae lock the door when he has nothing worth stealing in the house.

When Kihyun entered the house, he was struck by the smell that had layered here along with the dirt since Hyungwon left the house. Kihyun's stomach was rebelling, and his lungs refused to breathe. Kihyun did not understand how Chae could live here. If it weren't for Hyungwon, the guy would have long since choked on his own vomit or drowned in his own dirt. Kihyun pulled out the collar of his T-shirt and hung it on his nose. It wasn't a perfect stink filtering, but at least now he felt his own sweat and not someone else's dirt. He slowly stepped on the creaking floor covered with layers of disgust, forcing himself not to notice the smell and pain in his legs. He walked through a part that seemed like a corridor to him in that darkness and turned right, where he assumed a living room. And he was not mistaken. After just a few meters, he tripped over an old dirty couch and almost fell. In an effort to avoid falling, he hung himself on the couch, where he felt something human. That something on the couch screamed just like Kihyun, who jumped off and fell to the ground. Something from the couch rose and the light came on. Kihyun remained blinded for a while, but when his eyesight cleared, he had in front of him a drunken and stinking drunkard who had no right to call himself Hyungwon's father. Chae staggered and breathed heavily. His shirt was unbuttoned, and the white T-shirt underneath was wrung out and dirty. The stains resembled blood, but it could equally have been anything from the floor or any other place where Chae was rolling. He was sweating and wheezing so much that saliva flew from his mouth. Kihyun had never seen Hyungwon's father so closely. Now he did not understand how such a little man as Chae could harm someone as tall and proficient as Hyungwon. Chae noticed the boy on the ground and reached for an empty soju bottle. "What the fuck are you doing here?!" he shouted at Kihyun, who was still sitting paralyzed on the ground, watching the man who ruined his friend's life.