3 || the dancer

The chaotic events that took place during Alias's concert have yet to fully unfurl their wings of panic over the unsuspecting masses of Wynsmith. Like a lethal pill, dissolving in a glass of water. Those present at the time of the incident make quick efforts to spread the news themselves — word of mouth, shared among players and citizens alike, who are then sure to find someone else to share the story with, and so on and so forth. But as of yet no official announcement has been released by Wynsmith authorities concerning Alias's disappearance from the Marble Dome — granted, the audience who so hastily fled when the attack had occurred aren't aware, either. Only Mariko and Boey. For all anyone else knows, Alias's life could have been claimed by that mysterious attacker.

Admittedly, that misunderstanding may not be the greatest thing. But neither would having Mariko's and Boey's faces in flashing lights on every screen across the land and a bounty out for their arrest.

However, for just a moment, Mariko gives in to that soft voice of rebellion whispering from atop her left shoulder. How surreal, she thinks, to be fleeing swiftly through the narrow streets of this foreign, futuristic land, dodging through crowds and walking in the shadows of hovering billboards displaying advertisements with Alias's face all over them, when the idol in question now travels so close to her side. No video game Mariko has ever played has come close to replicating this feeling, nor any dream she's ever dreamt. And she knows that she's dreaming. She isn't so delusional as to lose touch with reality, despite how far she hopes to distance herself from it in both heart and mind. All that matters is the feeling it evokes. The wind brushing against her face, the casual chattering of the townspeople going about their business as usual, the vendors and their families wishing pleasant farewells to friends and customers alike before closing shop for the night, while the night owls emerge from their dens and break free into the open spaces to shed their lively spirits upon a city that never truly sleeps.

She would take this over New York any day.

Alias's surprisingly soft hand in her own, and the sound of Boey's anxious humming ensuring that he's not far behind her — well, not that she likes that he's anxious, but it's reassuring to at least know he's there. Eventually Mariko takes his hand, too, and the humming stops.

They don't know where they're going. That is the sole most obvious and unspoken fact shared amongst the three of them. No set destination in mind, they all silently agree to advance deeper into the city together, further and further from the Marble Dome where they can only hope Alias's pursuers hadn't caught sight of them before they fled the scene. At least Mariko can count on Boey's paranoia to let her know if he spots anyone coming up from behind them. For now, the best bet they have is to find some place to blend in with the crowd until they can figure out their next move.

A merchant occupying a small booth by the side of the street catches Mariko's attention. She makes a quick tug at Boey's and Alias's hands before they can pass it. Hoodies. The man behind the booth sells hoodies, cheap ones, and in colors ranging from the darkest black to the most neon of pinks. Either would blend in in this sort of neighborhood. As would a hoodie boldly decorated with Alias's logo on the back, front, and sleeves, ironically. So long as they didn't look closely at her face, no one would think twice about seeing that sort of fashion around here.

Nevertheless, Mariko opts for playing on the safe side and makes a quick purchase of a plain maroon hoodie. And from there it's a quick ducking into the nearest empty alleyway for a lightning quick change of wardrobe. Boey helps hold up the ramen shop banner while Alias pulls the hoodie over her head.

"Comfortable?" Mariko asks. "Sorry if it's not your style, we can think about shopping after we get to a safer location."

"What exactly is a 'safer location' here, Mari?" Boey rolls the banner up neatly and slides his arm through the gap, sneaking wary glances at the people passing them by on the street. "This place looks like a corn maze, just...without corn. A-are there even such things as quiet, safe places here?"