36 || return to the garden

New Floravale continues to remain an untouched haven from the chaos unfurling over Paracosia. Mariko and Soleil arrive to find things just as they left them. The citizens carry on as they were, absent of a clear sense of panic. If they had witnessed the distant explosion and crash of the aerowhale ship, they must have accepted there was nothing to be done about it. Activity above the floating islands is way beyond the reaches of their vision in the first place. No one could have been aware of what was unfolding aboard the airships, let alone that they were airships at all. To the ignorant eye, the true cause had been shrouded in a thick fog, a thicker veil of mystery. And though they wouldn't know it, even investigating the site of the crash would leave them with no answers, as all that remains of the aerowhale is a carcass of metal.

Mariko wonders if Prince Lotus has anything to do with the way things are here in the city – not in a devious, controlling way, but he does seem the type not to worry people if he can do anything about it. He's a good leader, a charismatic man. With the help of the peacekeeping force, she wouldn't be surprised if they had intentionally quelled any panic that did threaten to arise. On the other hand, if he doesn't know, she would rather not make mention of it to him. It's just as she told herself before: the more quietly this matter can be resolved, the better. Lotus has enough to deal with. Not to mention – as the memory resurfaces in her brain shortly after arriving at New Floravale – there was a good chance that Riis had been on the ship that exploded, too. If the prince found out, he would hate her for sure.

She doesn't even want to think about it. Right now, all that matters is finding Abe. Soleil can agree on that front, though her eyes stay fixed on Mariko more than the road ahead of them. Only at Mariko's request are they even here at all.

"I think it would be beneficial to ask the peacekeeping force," Soleil remarks, not long after they've left the PIPTIA station. Both inner-city stations are up and running – additional proof of New Floravale's undisturbed status. "Regardless of his intentions, Abe is undeniably a suspicious-looking person by nature. Well, I suppose it would be kinder to just say he stands out..."

They come to a slow stop on a familiar street in the city. A shopping district, the same one where Mariko had purchased her decorated dagger the first time they visited. It feels like a distant memory now. She's still unsure just how much time has passed, how many days she's been here. The days are getting shorter. Even since just leaving Arumathia, the sun has set again. It was dark when they first boarded the airships, and it's dark again now. Mariko gazes into one of the shop windows – a jewelry shop. They're still open. She can see a clerk dealing with a customer inside.

"You're probably right," she says in late reply. "I'm sorry, if only I had checked Abe's location more closely on the map, we'd know where to go."

"That's not on you," Soleil counters softly. "Besides, even if you had, he could have moved within that time, anyway. It doesn't hurt to just ask around."

Mariko nods. And so, they agree to make their way to the police station, a place Mariko never thought they would have to return to any time soon. At least they can't be roped into an interrogation this time. She'll be asking the questions. With that feeling of authority, she manages to hold her head up high as they approach the station together. Soleil has since donned her usual disguise, despite the peacekeepers having seen passed it at this point. It was more so for the sake of avoiding attention from the locals – and, perhaps, any lingering members of the Wynsmith Peacekeeping Department, who may still be on her trail. They haven't seen them in some time. Mariko thinks it unlikely at this point that they're tailing them at all.

Their primary threat remains unseen. The cause of the chaos, an unknown thing.

She and Soleil walk through the doors to the police station. It's quiet but occupied. A few officers are present in the lobby, as well as several others Mariko wasn't prepared to see so soon.